Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holding Tanks Level Monitors

Default Holding Tanks Level Monitors

Our 2000 Royale uses Headhunter's system to monitor the fresh, gray and black tank levels. It is two systems, one for the fresh tank which also has the auto shut off feature and other unit that measures the other two tanks.
    Over about a year all three quit working correctly. Headhunter sent me a troubleshooting guide. I followed the instructions and found by the instructions two of the tank sensors failed. I ordered two sensors for about $900 Lewbucks. One new sensor did fix the fresh water system. After the other new sensor was installed it did not work because the voltage to the sensor droped from the required 8 volts to less than 3 volts. I am now told the gauge unit power supply is bad. To end my troubles the new gauge unit is almost $400. I am not certain my third tank sensor is good. If not this adds another $495.
    What system do some othe the other coaches use?
    I have found a complete SeeLevel II by Garrett Technologies monitor system for a total of $465 for all three tanks plus battery voltage.
    Does anyone have any experience with a SeeLevel II?

I have seen a SeeLevel guage on a Prevost coach I was looking at when shopping several years ago. As I remember it was a pretty simple system, with an electrical contact which was taped/attached to the outside of the tank, and I guess sensed the level via temperature or ??

Anyway, it worked fine. Instead of like some systems where you get 1/4 tank increments, this had a digital gauge which displayed in percentage.

I can't give you any idea of reliability, but the seller was really happy with the system.

Ray

Ray
    Thanks for your input.

Larry,

Is there any reason why Headhunter cannot repair your units?

I have not turned my level sensors off in the 4 years we have had our coach and they have done very well except for one time when I had to recalibrate my holding tank sensor which took about ten minutes.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Larry, Alak and Lucia have a 2000 Royal with the same problems with the same system. You need to get with Al I know he had the replacement stuff in a box at home a couple of weeks back when I was there.

Jon & Joe
    Thanks for the info. Jon, I have talked to Headhunter and they only seem interested in selling parts not repair. The display unit is potted so I doubt it can be repaired.
    Joe I will contact Al. Thanks.
    I am really leaning towards the SeeLevel unit as a complete system is the price of one Headhunter part in the system. The required work to get to the tanks to install the system is the only draw back. But of course what is a retired guy's time worth per hour?

Larry, my 01 American XLII uses a MicroPulse System from Best Convertor.

http://www.bestconverter.com/MicroPu...p_100-153.html

Something else for you to look at and evaluate. They also advertise in the FMCA Magazines.

Good Luck.

Gary S.

Petervs Guest

I installed the See Level system on my bus about 5 years ago and it works great. I also installed a system on my boat.

It was not hard to do. It gives a nice percentage readout. I mounted the display in my water bay, we can generally have a feel how long we can go between dumping and filling, I just walk out to get a perfect readout when needed. It made the wiring really simple too.

Thanks Peter
    I am ordering the SeeLevel. Thanks to others and your input. I found that some of the systems require drilling hole in the lower part of the tanks. I don't want to drill hole in my tanks. Just one more thing that might go bad.

Petervs Guest

The SeeLevel is a pretty cool design. A flexible circuit board with special 3M sticky back adhesive designed to stick to normally slippery polypro tanks measures level by sensing the capacitance change between full and empty. Slick.