Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surge Protector

Default Surge Protection Failure Modes (one, anyway)

First, let me make a disclaimer statement, which I should have been doing on earlier posts, I guess: I am no surge protection or vehicle electronics expert (but I have been around the block a few times).

Most of the non-industrial strength surge protectors probably use MOVs (metal oxide varistors). Without going into any real detail (I shouldn't and couldn't), MOVs do fail, and have a lifespan that is/can be shortened every time a large surge occurs, or many/more 'smaller' ones, and this can be regarded as 'normal'.

That said, I would be interested to know what the manufacturer says is used to short/conduct a surge to ground (and some sort of lifespan expectancy statement, if available, because it is hard to quantify with a single parameter), which is how the protection is performed; voltage exceeds what might (I'm not sure) be termed a TWA (time weighted average), and the resistance now becomes to a path to ground. I really don't know how sensitive the technical information is for manufacturers, but MOVs are used all over for this purpose (AC spike/surge protection), and are a cost effective method, lifespan notwithstanding.

I've been using this one and it has worked reliably.

The only downside is that the status lights are very difficult to read in daylight.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...protection.htm

One of the features of this particular protector, is that it has the ability to tell you via the LED display that it was "sacrificed" due to surges or other line problems. One of the selling points is that it is able to do this.

I had a hard-wired EMS-HW50C in my previous coach that was completely reliable and without problems during 5 years of continuous use. Supposed to be the same unit, just a different install.

Since I was so satisfied with my prior experience, I went with the same company to protect the bus.

I'm beginning to think that either different components, or a different source for them, may be a factor now.

Until recently, I never heard any complaints regarding this product.

Most CC's come hardwired with a Surge Guard and I have many years of use with these and no problems. They can be purchased as portable units as well. Here is the link:

http://www.surgeguard.com/34750.html

Paul,

Are you in Texas? We are headed to California in the VOGUE, leaving Wed. night, staying at Marathon with CA. arrival Sunday. Any suggestions on the travel west?

Richard Beecher
    96 VOGUE XL 40
    02 Marathon XLII 45

lewpopp Guest

I had my Progressive installed over 2 years ago by a electrical engineer that knows his shit. Not only that, I will refer to the previous post when I see him and see what he comments about that. It is installed "in-line" and if I have problems, that is the time I would like the jobber you plug into the source.

I put my readout up front inside over the drivers seat so I can monitor it at every moment when we're plugged in. So far so good.

I have one that I had in my Marathon before I sold it, and it is now in the CC. I keep it plugged in all the time, and have never had a problem. I am now wondering if/when I will have trouble.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

The PI guy called me yesterday (yes on Saturday) and e-mailed me the instructions for sending it back. He said they would take care of it and he was puzzled as to why it would fail in the manner it did.

I asked that he let me know what they find out and I will post that info here.

Kenneth, if I get a chance I will ask your question as well. I didn't not know that was how they worked, so that is some good info. Or at least you sounded like you knew what was going on which is about how things work here anyway........

Default Pm

Rich, I sent you an email with my #, give me a call when you are in CA!

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by rbeecher View Post
    Paul,

Are you in Texas? We are headed to California in the VOGUE, leaving Wed. night, staying at Marathon with CA. arrival Sunday. Any suggestions on the travel west?

Richard Beecher
    96 VOGUE XL 40
    02 Marathon XLII 45

let us know when you'll be in the area. Maybe we can all get together.

Ray