Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surge Protector

Default Surge Protector

I purchased the EMS-PT50C Surge Protector a little more than a year ago. I used it about 10 times and it quit working. It's just dead. It was working when I unplugged it from the hanger, but when I got to the RV park, it was dead.

Anyone had a similar problem? I have sent an e-mail to the Progressive Industries folks, so maybe they can fix it.

Jerry, I have sent mine back to them twice. The first time it was my fault, the second time it just stopped showing anything on the readout. Both times were within the year warranty and they either fixed it or replaced at no charge. I would just send it back and tell them to call you if there is going to be any charge.
    Have you plugged it into a receptacle that you know is good?

Hi Jerry. Do you think it had anything to do with the storm? Possibly a surge on the system at the hanger.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jerry,

Do you remember in TN Rally mine also quit ! I called from TN and new one was waiting for me at home. Since then no problem yet.
    Just call them and I'm sure they will send you a new one.
    Keep us posted,

Alek

Jerry, They stand behind their product. Give them a call. I am on my fourth one. They rebuild each one they get back and send them out to the next person in line.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Petervs Guest

Something is not right here. A product like this should work correctly nearly all the time.

So many people sending them back multiple times shows there is some kind of inherent defect. If this is a small company they will eventually be unable to keep repairing them for free. If it is a big company some accountant will make them stop repairing them all for free.

I think I do not want one. Thanks for the data on your experience guys!

I bought a new one in mid-July and it lasted less than 10 days before it started acting up. I returned it and they sent a replacement.....

....which has lasted about a month before giving me problems.

I sent them an e-mail and they have offered to replace it again.

I'll take them up on it when we get to a spot where we'll stay put long enough to get a delivery.

A pain in the butt though.....

Question Who Has Had No Trouble

This is very disturbing news.

I have just ordered one and don't know of a better product.

Surge protectors in industrial and residential applications I have known need to be rebuilt after a "hit". Is that what is going on here?

Well I guess the bad news is that this is not an isolated incident. I tend to agree with Peter that there seems to be some inherent weakness in the unit.

When this one was working, I was pleased with the digital readout and the functionality. The last time it worked was in the summer before we left for DC. It was humming along when plugged into the power at the hanger and I unplugged it and stored it in the coach.

When I got to Hattiesburg, MS fairgrounds camping area, I plugged it in and it was dead. However, I thought the electrical service was dead so I went looking for one that had power. And since I had the unit out, I just took it with me thinking that it would be better than a VOM.

But when I got to the third spot with no power, I began to suspect the unit had an issue. A trip back to the bus to get the VOM then made me realize the surge protector was dead.

So, no it was not a storm issue and I don't know how you can incorrectly unplug it. I'll let everyone know how round two goes.

I've had mine for over a year, and it's in use every day.

So far no problems.

Mike