Thread: Members Helping Members

Default Members Helping Members

I finally got my touch-up paint samples ordered through Guaranty in Junction City, OR with the help of Brian and Peter. They won't ship even little bottles of paint, as they're considered "hazardous".

So after many phone calls made by Brain to Guaranty, he finally got someone to take them to the airport. Then Peter swoops in there with his 210, picks up the samples, takes them to Brain who delivers the paint to yours truly here at Spearfish.

This is what POG is all about, members helping members..

A big thanks to Brian and Peter.
    Last edited by truk4u; 09-16-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post

A big thanks to Brain and Peter.
    I don't know who Brain is, but I'm sure he's sharp.

mm

Mike,

I don't understand this. We know Tom has an inflatable sheep need and we help him every time we can. But do we get any accolades? Noooo.

And between us we have flown well over 5000 miles to help him out and nary a word.

I think my feelings are hurt.......

Default Amen to that

Members helping members only begins to describe the value of POG. At the Spearfish Rally I made mention that one of my drive tires was flat. In a matter of a minute I had over half of the group heading toward my bus with tools in hand.
    What another great example of fellow members jumping in to offer their help and expertise. A special thanks to dalej, A-1 and truk for head manning the operation.
    Apparently the tire (inside drive axle) went down on the road and eventually took out the side wall. This was caused by a valve stem seal leak. I was suspicious of a slow leak and thought it may have been the valve stem extensions. After taking the valve stem extension off and throwing them in the trash, I found the tire to hold pressure for the next 3-4 weeks and around 1200 miles of travel with no problems. Before leaving to Spearfish I checked the tire pressures and added 5 lbs. this tire.
    I suspect that while airing up and checking the tire pressure, the force against the valve stem was enough to move the stem in an unfavorable position to cause it to start leaking again. A 99 cent spray bottle with some soapy water would have been enough to do a quick leak test and saved alot of time and cash not to mention what could have happened if the tire flew apart or started on fire.
    There is no guarantee that when outfitting your bus with a new set of Michelins that the tire center will replace your valve stems with a new shinny set so be sure you look to see that they do. Also sometimes tire shops and roadside tire experts tend to tighten your lug nuts a million ft. lbs. of torque making it impossible to remove them, especially out in the field. For this a tool was made available to me by Jon W. It is called a 12X multiplier and reduces the amount of applied torque by 12 times. I was told that if you mention that you are a POG member, you can get a discount on the cost of a new one.

http://www.times12.com/wrench.htm

I will be ordering one today along with a new tire. Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to contribute the experience and knowledge they have gained over the years of being in this fun sport.

dalej Guest

Terry, glad to see you two made it home. I was thinking of calling you yesterday to see what the pressure was the next morning, but I was scared to.

Air tight and out of sight....

More and more I think this demonstrates the importance of a pressure monitoring system. Terry indicated he checked the tire before heading to Spearfish, but obviously it self destructed some time just prior to arriving.

I had a similar situation where I checked a tire just before last leg to POG2 at Santa Fe. Arrived at SF with only about 60lb in the tire. I refilled, and it was fine for the remaining time I owned the coach (over a year). Obviously, just the checking of the tire caused something to not seat right in the valve stem causing a leak. As I remember it was only a 3-4 hour drive that day. Much longer, and I'd have been in serious trouble too.

Ray

More Info on the X-12 over at Prevoman on Cool Bus Tools.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%20Toos/ToolsPg1.html

Picture 7.jpg

Terry, Glad things worked out.

Trukman also said it was OK to replace his Michelin with a Chinese Double Coin.

Mike

Glad you made it safe and sound Terry. Now you know who you can count on and who will leave you with blow up sheep and a memory as they wing their way home!

I'm glad to hear the problem is resolved. I was thinking about you on our way home.

To all who may have been a little lax on checking tire pressures Terry was fortunate in that there was no damage apart from a shredded side wall. I found myself checking tires at EVERY opportunity on the way home. Anal, yes but in view of what can happen it is a good way to stretch my legs and verify everything is OK.

Once I can get past the issue of the best way to sense pressures I may be making a purchase of a monitor.