Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generator start battery

jelmore Guest

Default Generator start battery

I replaced the generator start battery 4 months ago and have used it maybe a dozen or so times with no issues. While waiting for a replacement fan for an inverter, and while plugged in to shore power, I turned off that inverter, one of two, to avoid the noisy fan. The other inverter seemed to keep the house batteries charged. Just in case the house batteries did not stay charged, I kept the generator autostart system on.

After about a week in this state, all the generator lights inside started flashing. The only way to disable that was to unplug the Watchdog module. While checking things, I noticed that the generator start battery charge showed 10V!! Those flashing lights must indicate a low voltage situation.

A paragraph of questions: How did this happen? Could it be that Inverter #1 keeps that battery charged and by having that inverter off the battery drained? What kind of load is on that battery that would cause that much discharge? The Watchdog system? Does that battery even get charged other than by the generator? Could it just be a bad battery?

That battery is a critical link to this entire system. As far as I know, there is no other way to start the generator. I've read about emergency links to other batteries in some installations, but I'm pretty sure my coach doesn't have anything like this.

Perhaps this is something I need to take up with Liberty. Thought I should check here first.

Jim,

You need Jon to jump in here since it's a Liberty. Harry had the same issue in Branson with respect to the gen battery. You said you shut down the noisy inverter and the other kept the house batteries charged. I think you will find that both inverters are needed for the charging cycle, each charging certain batteries. Your Liberty is setup to charge the gen battery via one of the inverters, so possibly your noisy shut down inverter was the one that should have charged the gen battery.

jelmore Guest

If that's the case, one inverter keeps the generator battery charged, it sure makes me wonder what kind of load was on that battery to suck all the juice out of it. It wasn't used at all. And now that both inverters are back on line, the battery isn't charging.

I can't help on this one. It is possible the battery is bad.

If it turns out the battery tests bad, a new one should show 14 volts on the generator voltage gauge with the inverters on because the generator battery charge is maintained that way. If not there is a problem in the circuit from the house batteries to the genaerator battery, possibly the isolator that should be located in the electrical compartment if it is like my Liberty.

jelmore Guest

Talked to Tony in Chicago on this one. In this coach, there is no connection between the generator start battery and the house batteries or the inverters. The Watchdog monitoring system is powered by the house batteries and there are no loads on the start battery other than starting the generator. That battery is only charged when either the engine or the generator is running, not by shore power or the inverters.

Seems I have a failed battery.

Good to know. That is 100% different from mine. We have been sitting in Spearfish for 4 or 5 days and the generator battery voltage is showing 14+ indicating our battery is having its charge maintained by the inverters. If that was not the case we would be showing around 12.7 volts.

jelmore Guest

I asked Tony if there was a trickle charge circuit -- not knowing what I'm talking about -- on the inverters that could be sent to the start battery and he said no.

I'm sure your Elegant Lady would be more sophisticated than my Classic. But I can't imagine why they wouldn't provide a charge for the generator start battery from shore power on this coach. Seems it would be a simple thing for them to do.

Off to the battery store.

I'm running the engine now and the battery voltage still shows 10V. Would that for sure indicate a bad battery, or perhaps a malfunction somewhere between the alternator and the generator start battery?

I agree; that is interesting, particularly since we have 2000 Liberty as well. I will check the battery under shore power to see if it is being charged, as Jon suggests. I was the impression somehow that the inverter battery charger, one or the other of the two, if not both, had the generator as one of the loads. I imagine you have a number of POGGers scrambling to confirm their systems now. Thanks.

That battery is only charged when either the engine or the generator is running, not by shore power or the inverters.
    In my '93 Country Coach I was told that the generator battery was only changed by the GENERATOR, not the engine, and that if you didn't run the generator periodically, this battery would die.

I don't know if that really is true. About 6 months after getting that coach, I had to replace the generator battery. It was still working 6 months later, however I did try to run the generator once a month.

Ray

Jim: I did have the same problem while in kerrville. The remedy was to replace a 12V SHOTTKY ISOLATOR Model 52-75 / VANNER Battery Isolator that is between the gen. battery and its power source from the clear plastic covered electrical panel in the same bay. My 2000 Liberty coach is a 12V coach. That item solved my problem. about $60.00 as I remember. Vanner is in Hilliard, Ohio according to the label. I had the same symptons and it fixed it.
    It's about 3" X 5" black finned box. Good Luck.
    You can call me @ 530-277-5534
    , I'm in Spearfish with the POGGERS.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali