Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inverter fan replacement

jelmore I pulled my old repair invoice and it only says 120 MM fan, $13.99. Try calling Panterra and ask for Don Wolf or Dustin they might be able to get you one. 260-665-8000.

jelmore Guest

Thanks for the leads. We're in Portland Maine for the week and I want to get this fixed before we move on while we have a shipping address.

Something I haven't done before, and maybe it's in the instructions, but I've turned off the inverters at the remote panel and that noisy fan isn't cycling. So what is happening? Are the batteries still powering all the 12V things or is there a converter that's providing that power from the shore power? I presume the batteries aren't being charged. I guess keeping an eye on the battery voltage will tell a story but it would be good to know what is going on.

Jim,

If you have turned off the Inverters, your charging ability to the house batteries has been shut down. Keep any eye on your battery voltage, 12.2 is 50%, you'll have to turn them back on for charging.

jelmore Guest

While plugged in, I kept Inverter #1, the one with the noisy fan, turned off. Inverter #2 kept the house batteries charged.

Changing a fan is not a big thing indeed.

Just for the record, in case someone else searches these forums for this information, the fan in that 1999 Freedom Combi 25 inverter is a Delta WFB1212H .45amp 2800rmp 90cfm at 37dba. That fan is no longer made. I replaced it with a Scythe SY1225SL12SH .53amp 1900rpm 110cfm 37dba. These are commonly sold as a computer case cooling fan. That was the only fan I could find that moved at least that much air and was as quiet. I didn't check with Gusdorf or Panterra (thanks for the leads though) for a replacement -- seemed too trivial. Just in the interest of my own knowledge, I searched for fans of similar specs -- learned a lot.

Sure is quiet!

Which brings me to another battery charging issue -- the generator start battery.

I'll post that in another thread.

Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by jelmore View Post
    While plugged in, I kept Inverter #1, the one with the noisy fan, turned off. Inverter #2 kept the house batteries charged.

Changing a fan is not a big thing indeed.

Just for the record, in case someone else searches these forums for this information, the fan in that 1999 Freedom Combi 25 inverter is a Delta WFB1212H .45amp 2800rmp 90cfm at 37dba. That fan is no longer made. I replaced it with a Scythe SY1225SL12SH .53amp 1900rpm 110cfm 37dba. These are commonly sold as a computer case cooling fan. That was the only fan I could find that moved at least that much air and was as quiet. I didn't check with Gusdorf or Panterra (thanks for the leads though) for a replacement -- seemed too trivial. Just in the interest of my own knowledge, I searched for fans of similar specs -- learned a lot.

Sure is quiet!

Which brings me to another battery charging issue -- the generator start battery.

I'll post that in another thread.

Thanks, all.
    Jim or anyone else who can help,

My 1999 Heart 2500 inverter/charger is showing an E-07 error in the Link 2000 window inside the coach. The manual says that error is the Triac has overheated. What is a Triac? It sounds like a cooling fan. The manual says to turn off the inverter and the charger, let them cool down, and then turn back on. I did that and it still shows an E-07. In the morning, I am going to see if I can hear the cooling fan running.

I would still like to know what a Triac is?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

jelmore Guest

I don't know what this all means, but here's a definition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIAC
    I'd bet a phone call to Xantrex will tell you what you need to know. Keep us posted. The fan was easy to replace, the boards might be easy, but I don't know about taking anything else apart inside those things. Looked very electrical to me.

Jim,

I read the definition and I agree with you; it is way too technical for me. It appears that the Triac is some sort of current switch, so if it is overheating it must be because the cooling fan is not working. I will try to check the fan out this morning and order the one from Radio Shack and try to replace it my self. I read in the owner's manual that ALL power had to be disconnected first so that will be step 1.

I have a good friend who can help me here so I won't be going it alone.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

jelmore Guest

I didn't find one at Radio Shack that met the specs and size of the original fan, nor did I find one at the local Grainger. You may have better luck at a computer parts store. I had to mail order the one I used. Good luck.