Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Directions Needed ....

Your EZpass will work, I have one in the coach and one in the Toad. Generally the toll booths on the far Right are usually a little wider that the others....just inhale and watch your mirrors.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

wrongagain Guest

I have yet to have had the privilege of having a wide lane be open.
    My experiance with toll booths is they are like shopping check out lines , when I'm there, all lanes are closed except the one with a new trainee.

Ray
    one last piece of advice, fuel up on the NJ turnpike, there are no convenient stops on 287 and the cost of fuel in NY is much higher than NJ.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Some information on the toll booths. The NJ turnpike is a toll road. the good news is that you only go through the booths when you enter and leave the turnpike. 287 is not a tool road. 287 is longer than using the GSP; however, the GSP has an endless number of tolls, and is not good for the bus because of the width of the to lanes. They converted many of the exact change lanes to the E-Z pass lanes, without removing the change catcher.

One small bit of advice, watch your timing through Washington area and NJ reference rush hour traffic. This can mean as much as 1.5 hours of delay in your trip.

I spent many years traveling the route you are going to take in the RV. also, you only need the E-Z pass in the bus. It will pick up the correct number of axles including the toad.

Have a great trip

To me, the worst toll booths were along the Garden State Parkway. They're very tight and plenty of them!

The NJ Turnpike is a better choice, in my opinion....

Thanks for all the comments. So, I thought in my last couple of trips, when I've flown in and driven up the GSP, that most of the toll areas also had express lanes. Are those not usable when traveling with EZPass in the bus? I've used them in rental cars!

ray

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Height issue

My experience driving through NJ and NY is not so much that your RV isn't allowed on the Parkway's, it's that you'll finally realize the worst fear of rippping your roof off like a tin can. There's many bridges that are not tall enough for us to fit under. I got on some by following the GPS more than once and had some "friendly honking" referred to earlier going on thank goodness. The locals warning me to get off. I guess that's one place where the computer software GPS allowing you to specifiy your height is preferred over a regular GPS.

wrongagain Guest

All over the NY area you will see the signs that say,...
    "Truckers use expressways, not Parkways, It's the law!"
    Then under the parkway part of the sign is a low bridge warning icon.
    From what I know a 3/4 ton pickup is not legal to be on a parkway.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

My experiance and opinion with toll roads is:

PURE TAX
    There is always a free alternate route
    I avoid them like the plague

Many shy away from secondary roads for numerous reasons we are all familure with. When traveling the interstate system, toll or not, you get to see a FEW things. On those other routes the view is much more interesting. The interesting things you come across is endless.

Don't be in such a hurry and don't be afraid of a little 2 lane every now and then. Besides you miss all the good yard sales and flee markets out on the big road

Default Best Route ?

Peg and I will be in the Phoenix area visiting family over Xmas and are considering driving up to visit Vegas for New Years, it is our anniversary, and where we got married 9 years ago.

Question is at Xmas time what is the best, safest, fastest route to get from Phoenix to Vegas? Is 93 the best highway to go, or should I stay on I-17 to I-40 and over?

I have never driven either of these roads in the bus nor in the winter, so I was hoping for your suggestions.

Thanks,

Gary S.