Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Directions Needed ....

Default Driving Directions Needed ....

I will be driving from FL up to West Point (Highland Falls, NY) in October. I've made the trip from Newark Airport in a car several times, which generally includes going up the Garden State Parkway, over to the Palisades and then up around by Bear Mountain.

I have been told that some of the roads in NJ and NY are not legal for RV. What little info I have found indicates that there are size limitations on the NJ Garden State and that the NY Taconic Pkwy is off limits to RV.

But, the info I have really vague.

I'm looking for someone who may know what is the best route for me, coming up from FL to get to Highland Falls. I will be towing a car, so I'll be around the 60-62 foot mark.

Thanks,
    Ray

easy run......Rt. 95 to NJ turnpike to Rt 287 North to NY Thruway north. Exit 16 off the Thruway. After you get off the exit you have to go over the mountain but its not a big deal. Stay off the Garden State parkway. Its bus friendly but the tolls are plentiful and the toll lanes are narrow. We're right at the intersection where 287 meets the thruway in Northern NJ (Mahwah) and about an hour from West Point we have plenty of room, 30 amp and water your welcome to stay but I'm sure West Point has plenty of room.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Rick is right on with the directions. We just drove that route driving southbound from Maine and it's not a bad drive at all.

Having driven the Garden State Parkway, the 287 & NJ Turnpike combination is much better. Another coat of paint and I'm not sure I would have made it through those Parkway toll plaza's

If you want to avoid the majority of the traffic along I-95 near Washington DC and Baltimore, we take I-95 north to the 495 beltway around DC to US-50/301 East, through Annapolis and across the Bay Bridge, and follow 301 all the way to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. There's a nice rest area on 301 about 20 miles east of the Bay Bridge. It will be a left exit into the rest area.

After you cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge, you can stay straight and enter the NJ Turnpike.

Have a safe trip....

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated! I have an EZ Pass that I got for my car when my son first started school up there. Do you know whether:

1. It can be used on the NJ turnkpike or NY thruway?
    2. Can I just use it in my bus, or do I have to tell the EZ Pass people that I'm driving a larger than normal vehicle?

Thanks,
    Ray

Your EZ Pass should work fine on the NJ Turnpike as well as the NY Thruway. When you applied for the EZ Pass, I kind of remember that you were supposed to identify the vehicle type that it was going on, but that was many years ago.

I have friends that transfer theirs between the car and their RV without a problem, so I would just do the same.

I spent several weeks at West Point during my Army Reserve duty there. It sure is pretty country!

Thanks Paul, when I get my new plates, I'll contact EZ Pass and let them know that I will be using it on an RV and let them adjust the account.

Uh Jim, I think I'll take a pass on the disappearing plates! Were they trying to one-up Bruce (0533), running from a pump at a maddening rate, towing a car with two bright yellow kayaks?

Ray

wrongagain Guest

EZ pass will work, but let me tell you, the others are not kidding you about the toll booths.
    You pretty much have to come to a complete stop before the tolls, get out, grab a tube of your favorite lubricant, and grease up the sides of the bus, that way you can squeeze between those curbs.
    Now keep in mind these are no mere regular curbs, these are super curbs,
    at least 16" high.
    So,...as you are watching the curb that is no more than 4 inches from your stainless you will hit your mirror on some inane signage about litter.

Ed, is this on all tollways through the area? Or is this the GSPW as mentioned by Paul?

wrongagain Guest

Basically it seems to be a western mass and N.Y. area pet peeve.
    That seems to be the only areas I have seen that makes me actually take notice.
    Its kind of fun, like an optical illusion, you can clearly see other vehicles going thru, but when you get there you just cant figure out how.
    Just try to picture driving thru a funnel, a cattle chute, that kind of thing.
    But your fellow motorists will happily and cheerfully wait as you breeze thru at a white knuckle 1/10 of a m.p.h.
    And don't mistake the horns blowing as anger, they are just wishing you well for a job well done.
    Last edited by wrongagain; 09-06-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: cant spell