Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Info Please

Petervs Guest

Well, you should probably visit with a Marathon salesman to get their point of view. Admittedly both Liberty and Marathon are quality machines, and for a used one, perhaps the care and maintenance it has received over it's life is more important than the differences between the brands.

My opinion only, but here is why I like Marathon better:
    ) From my experience only, and might not apply to ALL Liberty coaches)

1. Gray and Black holding tanks, not a combined unit
    2. No dump connection hanging out right in front of the drive wheels where it can get broken
    3. No proprietary electronic gizmo that tries to control the generator
    4. 6 House batteries, not 3 or 4
    5. ALL electric, no propane
    6. Glitz is more refined in my taste on the Marathon
    7. Dashboard layout on the Liberty with the huge diagram of the bus looks wacky
    8. They will give you a wiring diagram if you ask for one.
    9. The main thing is that after 7 years of owning the Marathon I have not found one instance of them trying to cut corners on anything, they simply built the best machine they could, cost was not really an issue. Liberty might be the same ( I have not owned one) , but I have been very pleased with Marathon. They also throw in free little parts from time to time, their service is top notch ( and costly), they have a 24 hour help line. They care.

Interesting list of preferences...... very similar to what I like most about our Liberty:

1. Single waste tank. With grey water by-pass + macerator pump I have the ultimate flexibility in waste disposal.

2. I don't even have to think about the generator auto start. It just works.

3. The Liberty only requires 3 batteries. Significant savings at replacement.

4. All electric, no propane.

5. Glitz? Nah... ours is merely a Classic, so glitz is minimal.

6. Love the dash.... no huge diagram, and everything I need at my finger tips.

7. Haven't needed any diagrams that I haven't been able to get...

8. After only 1 year of ownership, I'm convinced that Liberty Coach quality is unsurpassed. They have supplied minor parts and made repairs at no cost, even though we are not the original owners.

9. Yeah, the sewer connection could have been better placed, but I only have to deal with it once when we hook up and from that point on, I can dump, from either side or through the macerator, from the comfort and convenience of the coach.

dalej Guest

This is a fine subject to discuss right before a rally, were all going to be mad at each other!

All good points Peter, but most reflect personal taste.

I have had both separate and combined tanks, and with the gray water bypass feature I now have it makes no difference to me.

My sewer connection is where you say, but I doubt if it hangs more than 1/2" below the bottom of a bay door. It's an academic point however because the newer Liberty's now have a very clever sewer connection configuration that allows for a couple of connection directions, bottom or side. Personally I like the connection outside the coach.

Proprietary generator start devices are what everybody has. Yours was just not made by Marathon, whereas mine was designed by Liberty. I can remove it and still start my generator however.

6 batteries would be nice, but so would 300 gallons of fresh water and an equal size holding tank. My batteries allow me to dry camp all night and the batteries are sill OK to make coffee and watch a little TV. I have four however and six would be better. But I won't give up my OTR just to get room for the batteries.

My coach is all electric.

Glitz???????? I prefer you use the word bling, whorehouse, bordello, etc. You have to admit since the turn of the century the decor has shifted to a new level, both very tasteful, and one that makes other coach interiors seem institutional by comparison. Fortunately beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The dash may not have been designed by anybody with a degree in Industrial Design, it is functional, informational, and unlike other conversions it is not proprietary. It works and although the bus graphic is not my favorite part of the dash it does display a lot of the house functions at a glance.

I have wiring diagrams and wire colors, gauges, numbers and descriptions for my entire coach conversion. I didn't ask for one. It came with the Liberty owner's manual. It does not include proprietary designs because so many converters have stolen features from Liberty I suspect Liberty chooses to not provide them with any more engineering data.

Ditto on the quality of the conversion. Since Liberty support is unparalleled I would say that all others strive to meet that standard.

The short version of this discussion is that as customers I'll bet both of us are driving top of the line conversions, and I for one use Liberty as the standard by which I measure all other companies that I deal with. There is none so far that has risen to that level.

jelmore Guest

We looked at a Marathon before deciding on a Liberty. Could in no way see the $100,000 difference between what Marathon was asking (for a 1997!) and what we were able to get ours for. Maybe it would have been a $50,000 difference? Their styling is very, very nice, but I couldn't imagine the washer/dryer being in the galley (maybe fold clothes on the dinette?). Our Liberty has a stacked unit in the dressing area and that was a deciding point. I couldn't imagine separate black and gray tanks (done that). Did the Marathon have manual valves? Surely not, but the combined tank was a deciding factor. The Cruise Airs vs. roof airs, another deciding factor. The over the road air a deciding factor, and it has certainly proven itself over the last year on the road. Weight distribution, another factor. The proprietary generator control has been perfect. There is no propane on our Liberty. Our dashboard layout is quite nice (see http://2000liberty.info). Our books include a complete wiring table for all circuits, 12V, 120V and coax, with clear location descriptions. All wires are numbered on both ends and very easy to find. While Liberty has been helpful when I've called (well, depends on who you talk to), the only Liberty part I've had to replace is the lit stairwell hand rail. I will certainly agree that the dump connection is odd and they could have done that better. The only problem I've found is that it is lower than some connections we have to hook up to. I'd really like 6 house batteries instead of 3, but we get by. This is my experience, living in a Liberty every day for more than a year and traveling a thousand miles a month. I'd say Liberty's done a fine job. Everything that's theirs has held up quite well.

Dale, I doubt if anybody is going to be mad at anybody else. Instead I think the converters should be proud that their customers think so highly of the product that they are willing to debate and discuss them.

I wouldn't waste my breath trying to tell people how pleased I am with one of my cars, but both the shell and the conversion and the support I get are so good it is worth discussing.

I think we all agree that regardless what converter we have, owning a Prevost is a great experience in itself, and their quality is unmatched by any other frame on the road. There are many small and some significantdifferences between converters, but in the end, it comes down to what satisfies our personal taste and what we can afford at the time of purchase. If someone else was paying the bill, I might go for a 5-slide Liberthon with some of the improvements added by other converters.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I think a lot of it is the experience we have with our converter when trouble arises. In my particular case, I was so mad at Country Coach. I begged to get in for service, and they couldn't get me in for 6 months. Ultimately I got my issues solved by flying one of their techs down to CA on my own dollar on a weekend.

Anyway, it soured me enough that I wouldn't even look at a CC when shopping for these last two buses. It's sad, because I'm relatively certain that CC makes a nice coach. I've been in several. Both Mike and Ken (local guys) had CC coaches and were/are happy with them.

Obviously, Dale had a much better experience with service than I did. (Glad to hear it!).

Marathon has bent over backwards to treat me right, especially with the new coach I'm buying. I'm sure that Liberty is the same, just they aren't as convenient for us west coast guys, in terms of getting there for service.

Ray

Dale I really didn't intend to start a converter war. Just wanted the difference between Classic and Elegant Lady Libertys. I like the friendly bantering and I think I even got a good feel for the difference between the two models.

Thanks for all the opinions and I would like to come back with more questions as they arise.

Larry

Here's my take on the Converter opinion...

Country Coach - I've had 3, two plastic and the current Bus. Factory support is non-existent, especially for the older buses, mine included. The price was right and it has lots of features I really like, but I know, I'm on my own. I know I can drive 500 miles south to Parliament for issues I can't handle myself and I knew this going into the deal. John the Flydude knows these CC's well and has been a big help. We have experienced the 391 wire nightmare.

Marathon - Customer service was fantastic while I owned my 97. My beef is they refuse to support or even acknowledge POG and could care less. Look at the number of Marathon buyers over the last few years, many the result of the POG/Stuff forum. In my opinion, they are arrogant.

Liberty - First class customer support and product and they value and support POG. It's nice to shake hands and talk to the converters in person at our Rallies and they go out of their way to help Liberty owners regardless of the vintage of the bus.

Parliament - Ken and the gang have out done themselves supporting POG and the members and are never too busy if someone needs help. There aren't as many Parliament owners in the group, but I'm sure their support is second to none. Anyone looking for a bus should consider Parliament.

There are other converters with great products that also support POG, but I am only experienced with the above.

This thread should piss off Jdub, you know how he hates it when the thread never ends.