Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tire, slow leak?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

No doubt you are not alone. Risk of seriously overloading one side of the axle? What were those #s.

I have to go on my own experiance. After you have tailgated or spread a load out of a dump trlr a couple of thousand times with no failures you begin to get a better picture of just how much it would take to actually overload an axle housing and tire. Raising the trailer all the way up before popping the gate and then proceding as fast as you can in third gear with the whole load (24TON) pluse the weight of the trlr on that one back axle. That was on super singles so that would be 30 ton on that axle and 15 ton per tire. I had 100lbs in the tires.

When a loader puts stone in a dump trlr very rarly does it end up perfictly centered and just a couple of inches one way or another would amount to thousands off from side to side. A perfect load was not the norm. Not unusuall for it to be WAY off center. The tires on the heavy side squat SLIGHTLY more. 1000lbs difference from one side to another would not even be noticable by viewing the tires if at the same pressure.

The average heavy load for a motorhome would be about 3.5 ton on a tire, most being 2.5.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-08-2008 at 07:27 AM.