Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant

Default Engine Coolant

Should I have the red or green in my 2004 CC? It has the green in it but I am going to have the cooling system flushed, etc. this week and was curious if I should put the green back in or go with the red??

Thanks in Advance

Brent

Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary, perfect, thank you.

Brent

I know that DD recommends their Power Cool product (the red stuff), however I've found that the Prevost shops seem to all use the green stuff intead. I've been told to never mix the two.

It would be nice to get a real final answer on this. IF DD recommends red, why does Prevost seem to use green. At least in both Mira Loma and Dallas, in both of my coaches green was used.

Ray

I don't know about the mixing, or if the colors mean anything, and I have not seen any admonitions about mixing different types in the Detroit Diesel PDF file on coolants.

What is stressed by Detroit is the chemical characteristics of the coolant.

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/Public/...res/7SE298.pdf

That is the file and I won't try to repeat all that it contains, but it is a comprehensive guide to what is acceptable in our engines. I know there are coolants that meet the Detroit spec that are undoubtedly cheaper than what I pay for the Detroit Diesel brand coolant. In the context of the cost of an engine or serious repairs or replacement of a radiator I will stick with what Detroit recommends and adhere religiously to the maintenance schedule.

I was told by the service manager at Prevost Mira Loma (and a mechanic as well), that red and green should not be mixed. And that when switching, you need to completely drain the system.

I'll try to get ahold of my DD buddy to see if I can get a better ruling on that.

I had gone out and purchased a bunch of the red stuff from DD, only to not use it, at the suggestion of Prevost.

Ray

The only prohibition I see in the document Gary listed originally is to not mix NOAT and OAT formulations. This in simple terms is coolant for highway use with coolant formulated for marine use.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Has the industry overly confused the issue with all these incompatible choices or what.

Question, that stuff that comes from DD with the additive already incorporated; is that stuff green and if not can it be mixed with green???????

IMO I would want to run something that could be easily replaced on the road after any possible leak. Green standard life with low silicone.

On a side note this stuff is Toxic (never brakes down) and what happens to it over usage is it gets dirty. When you look at new antifreeze it is transparent and when you are draining it it has become jaded. Well if you let the containers of the used stuff set for a spell (a month or so) all the particulate matter settles to the bottom. At that point without shaking them you can pour it off transparent again leaving the dirt at the bottom. Truck supplies have extender you can add to it or you can make all your neighbors very happy and give it away.

I used to drop the coolant in the Pete every other year but also reused it a second time (as described above) before giving it away.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 07-21-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Coolant does not have to come from Detroit, nor does it have to be changed according to the DD schedule if you can believe the claims. Some coolants such as Peak Final Charge have great possibilities:

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/finalchargeext.htm

The point is that if you do an internet search you will find numerous options for coolant in our engines. The difficult part is learning or understanding if it meets the DD requirements, what maintenance is required, and its need or lack of need for additives.

Coolant is not a big expense when it comes to the total cost of running our engines., But by being shortsighted and not recognizing the total role coolant plays serious problems can occur. Our engines can literally perforate the cylinder liners from the rear if the coolant is not the correct type. Our radiators can be blocked internally if the coolant is not the correct type or is not maintained. Our coolant not only transfers heat but the chemistry protects the engine, the water pump and the radiator.

Despite fanatical adherance to the coolant maintenance requirements I had to replace a radiator core on my 8V92 coach because the radiator plugged internally in addition to losing a lot of its fins from corrosion from road salt. I am not very much aware of coolant and engine temps. It is a PITA to deal with coolant. It is poisonous so I cannot have our dogs anywhere near when I am servicing it. It generates vast amounts of waste coolant that has to be taken for disposal. I have to burp the bus for a period of time after changing it. But the upside is if the right coolant is used and the engine is protected the benefits are considerable

Jon,

How many years did your 8V92 radiator last?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot