Thread: Albuquerque Balloon Festival

Default Albuquerque Balloon Festival

Kari, the kids and I are thinking about heading out this October to see the balloons. I was looking for some insight from others who have done this on where to camp, any other tips on going, etc. I was also curious if anyone else will be out there as it is always nice to meet others from POG.

Brent

Hello Brent,

We were there in 2006. I checked with their web site. The RV sites are filling up fast. I would recommend the VIP section. It is dry camping, but our rigs do that without any problems. With this area, you do not have to cross any roads to get to the actual balloon fields. The balloons do not go right over the VIP with the normal wind pattern, but that is worth not having to cross the busy road. The shaped balloons are more interesting, and they start I think on Wednesday or Thursday. It was a great trip and we plan to go back in 2009.

Brent,

Try your best to get into Presidents View or the lot next to it. These are up on the hill over looking the Festival. We were there in 06 with Mango, Jdub, Sticky and few others and it was fantastic. When you check in, just try to talk to someone about the hill. I had no reservations, just got lucky on the dates we were there.

IMG_0520_1.JPG

IMG_0523_1.JPG

IMG_0530_1.JPG

Brent,

Trukman is spot on about the location.

This a definetly an event to add to the bucket list. Without a doubt it was spectacular, but you do have to get up before dawn - tough for us guys in the bar biz.

There is a recap of this 2006 visit over at Prevoman. This was a pre POG II meeting where Tom acquired the nickname Krakman, but I'll let JDUB tell that story.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/POG%20...agePogII1.html

Picture 20.jpg

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 08-31-2008 at 11:46 AM.