Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am ready to buy this Bus.. BUT

Born and raised in NJ..Still live there..

Default I am ready to buy this Bus.. BUT

Evening People,
    I just sent a letter to Jon W. who's been a good friend to me since I joined POG...He's give me much good advice and I ran to him for his opinion now..
    My letter to him is self explanatory and I won't have to think it all out all over again if I just copy and paste it here for you...
    Jon told me about someone here who goes out to look busses over for people.."Joe C...so I'll be writing to him when I find out how to do it...
    In the meantime I'm doing as Jon suggested and putting the plan I have up here for what ever good advice I can get from anyone on POG...
    After 3 whole years of looking almost every day for the bus for me I'm about to buy what I can afford...even tho' it's not what I hoped for..I'll finally be behind the wheel of my own Bus...Soo anxious and soo scared too...

Many Thanks

Warm Hugs Always Viv...

My e-mail is: journeyone144@comcast.net
    Any Advice would be most welcome...

----- Original Message -----
    To: Jon Wehrenberg
    Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:36 PM
    Subject: Vivian & a Prevost...

Hi Jon,
    You've been so nice to me I want to tell you what I'm about to do...
    Remember the 74 Pre..you didn't think I should buy...well he's come down from 75K to 50K and I am seeing now about making arrangements to take a Greyhound Bus out to him in Chickasha, Ok...this Tuesday coming..and driving the Bus back to NJ...

Jon, Getting it for 50K will leave me some cash for repairs if they aren't too steep...

With all the troubles I've been having for a whole year with my Credit Score because of a wrongful debt on it of 7,000.00 that I never borrowed I can't get the Equity Loan on my house so I'm having to cash in my IRA to pay the 50K cash for this 74...but it's all I want in this world...

Gerald Ibsen, the owner says it was professionally converted...and I'm inclined to believe him...Talking to him on the phone he sounds pretty old and his wife, Bette, has to talk for him most of the time...

He only had the last word about the Price...smile...

Would you please look at the ad for it on rv-trader one more time and tell me what you think I should worry most about...I will try to find a mechanic in Chickasha,
    ((( pronounced...Chick-a-sha... I had fun with that too...))) who might go with me out to their place and look over the things I don't understand well enough yet...and if anything needs fixing right away I'd find out what it is and do it ...then and there... before starting out on the 1500 mile trip back to NJ...

If it turned out to be really cost prohibitive I just would get a bus back to NJ...but cry all the way home...

At least I will have had the chance to finally do one thing positive...but I admit I'm nervous about it ...that's why this letter to you...
    I know you can advise me and I'll print out what ever you tell me to do and give it to the mechanic I find...

Please don't discourage me too much Jon...
    This Pre is far from what I was hoping I could afford but it also has all the basics I did want...floor plan is just right...and that was the most important thing to me...

Before getting down to the nitty gritty of what makes it tick, engine and other stuff...I have to live inside it...so that had to come first...

In time I can add the amenities I want and that'll be fun for me...like change the upholstery on the couch, the ugly wallpaper, and little things like that...I can even do myself...and make it presentable and satisfying for me...

If it runs good and the elec and water work I can live with it...smile...

Warmest of Hugs Always Viv...

PS: I want to add one Question: The dash is kind of old looking..The one thing I disliked most...Can something be done to it to make it look a little more modern..It is rectangular and that counted with me...I never liked the round dash like the GMC's have at all.. See a silly woman thing...!!! but I have to drive and look at it all day...Needed a light note to end this very serious buy...Help..

Below URL takes you directly to the Ad...
    http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail2945562.htm

Vivian,

Personally I don't know much about this vintage of bus. I would highly suggest that you make arrangements to take this bus to Prevost or some other bus service facility and pay for a full inspection. At best, you should get the owner to pay for that. If not, it may be worth 1-2 grand to have piece of mind that the bus is in good mechanical shape.

More than likely you would need new tires and batteries, so budget around $8000 or more for that expense.

Given the few pictures I can see, the bus looks OK, but a close inspection will tell a lot. It would be great if Joe or someone else could come out with you. But even with a POG person, I would recommend a professional inspection first. Only then if it passes well would I consider the purchase. I'm doing that with the bus I'm now purchasing, and would do the same on an older bus as well.

Best of luck. I hope that you are able to live your dream ...

Ray

Default New Bus

Got to me worth $50,000. I would takes Ray advice and get a bus mechanic to review the coach. Tires, batteries and service are going to be good investments.

Congratulations!

I think any Coach of this age is going to have many issues. Does the owner have good documentation on maintenace and repair? I would look to see how often the bus was serviced, was it maintained on a yearly basis.
    Also, like other hve mentioned Tires and batteries, how new are they.
    The Air bags, how new or how old are they. Fan Belts, Coolant hoses, Air hoses.
    Generator; how new , when last serviced.

I know you have your heart set on getting a bus, but I would'nt want you to be overwhelmed with cost or broken down somewhere looking at a $12,000.00 repair bill.
    So, this is only a partial idea of what needs scrutiny. Definately have someone reliable do a survey of this Coach if you are interested. Then you can negotiate the price.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

No offence Ray but I would suggest that one as Viv looking at a bus as this need not spend 2 grand to have someone look that over. That cash could be used to go towards repairs.

Viv first you might check out Amtrack I have recently been needing a little help getting around and it beats the heck out of greyhound and coach fare is the same. Get as close as you can by train.

Give me some dates I would be happy to help you.

See if the owner can do an oil analasis on the engine and trans and have the results beforehand. The rest can be shaken down.

I am going to keep it short cause I know if you are corrisponding with Jon there is not much I could add.

Good luck and let me know.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-28-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Hello Vivian,

How about this one below:

http://www.philcooper.com/details.php?v_id=305

Start at $50k and go up if you have to. Newer bus, newer body, you never know, perhaps the seller will agree to your offer, because it is on the market for some time already,

Alek

Viv,

Sorry, but you know we are looking after your best interest and I think this bus would be a disaster. That 318 will be an oil slobbering, fuel using, under powered, maintenance nightmare. Nothing will be standard on that bus for maintenance simplicity.

I hate to be so pessimistic, but I care about your dream turning into a non ending money pit. I have owned 318's in old trucks.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Viv I have found 2 Country Coaches a 90 and a 91 that could be had for 55 each. I will e-mail pictures later today when I get wrapped up for the evening.

Or anyone else who may be interested.

Please post location of each as in web site. I have a buddy in Pa. who is looking for a less expensive way to get his Prevost. Thanks.

Petervs Guest

Hi Viv,

Well,we have never met, but from your picture and the words in your letter you sound like a very nice lady. I am afraid I must chime in on the side of Do NOT BUY THIS OLD BUS.

This would be a great rig for someone who enjoys doing the work himself. I mean all the work. There will be endless repairs, leaks to fix, systems that were marginally designed and poorly maintained, etc, etc. If you can only afford $50k for the coach, you will be quickly dismayed at the endless repair bills. You will not be having fun. If you don't believe me go buy a 1978 Cadillac ( or anything else) and spend the next month driving it every day. See how you like it. You will find it is nothing like a modern car. The analogy applies to the Prevost too.

I suggest you spend the same amount of money on a 12-15 year old modern motorhome like a Country Coach or a Bluebird. You will then have a machine that has probably had good maintenance and service history all it's life, and the upkeep will be something you can deal with while still enjoying your travels.

Please do not make me send you an email in a year that says, "I told you so!"