Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pit Stop

Talking 21 Days on the Road

Here is the list,
    1. New tires on the Hummer H3, ruined a tire on some ones lost drill bit --$800.00
    2. Couple inside bulbs -- $4.00
    3. Generator repair, was broke before we left -- $500.00
    4. Major service, hub oil changed, A/C leak found and recharge, two windshields at Prevost ML before we left --$2,600.00
    5. Overflowed the bathroom, was using the tank flush and got talking to the guy next to me, forgot to open the drain valve until Dee came a screaming. It would have been funny if she was sitting on the john.

Gary's estimate of a million miles equal a million dollars is about right or maybe low.

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Some thoughts.

As a newbie, I can tell you that my first reaction to all this was, as Jon stated, scared and worried about the "what have I done now? syndrome. So, as I usually do when my balancing act of life becomes disturbed, I go back to basics and do a reset. So here it is,

I bought a Prevost because there wasn't another coach out there that made sense to me to sink money into. That was no light decision. We "Kicked the dead horse, then all it's parts" for about a year and one half getting to that conclusion.

I would not buy it, I could not justify it when it would be an occasional use toy, but it was my first choice when the decision was made that it would be our home.

Of all the things I have in my life, my wife is most dear to me. I could justify the additional cost of the quality, servicability, upgraded systems, the additional costs of the redundant system, all the maintenance, and all the time I would put in to make it work so that she would be happy, comfortable, safe and secure. For me, as I believe it is for most here, the conclusion quickly becomes that the dollars and hours spent fixing are a bargin for the rewards. I wasn't sure that those rewards were available with a decision different than Prevost.

For those who might be reading this in preparation to buy a Prevost, understand this, Poggers are a very unique group of people. The talents and skill sets here are just amazing in their great diversity and high levels of acheivement. Consider the following as you read. Maybe not all, but a lot of the gripes, complaints, problems, criticisms, etc. are just distractions along the route in a pogger's quest for the perfect Prevost. Mountains are made from mole hills when the standard has been set that less than perfect is unacceptable. It is a matter of personal perspective if this is a negative however, if you are there, I suggest you keep reading the forum. Read the threads where someone has broken down in a foreign country and take note of the resources that were brought to the table to help and save the day. Read about all the "newbie" questions that get answered without hesitation. Read about the cooperative efforts for improving life in a Prevost. Take note while you are reading that you are only reading because of the sharing that goes on and a lot of the sharing is about the little things.

As a newbie myself, here is my perspective: How many of you can go take a walk around your house and cars and not find enough items to make a two-page list of things to do? Make sure that if you can't, you go talk to your spouse. Now that you have your three-page list, sit down and ask yourself this question, Why do I expect anything different from my bus?

As I stated earlier, when things get out of balance, I return to basics and disect to be able to apply simple solutions. The above stated question has resulted in my formulating the following set of rules which I share here for other newbies to consider:

Sawdust_128's Rules for Happy Prevost Ownership

1. Do not sweat the small stuff.

2. It is all small stuff.

3. You can't change Rules 1 & 2.

4. Unless you absolutely have to, don't do it with your own money.

5. Do not get arrested.

I leave you to your own thoughts to determine if this will work for you.
    Last edited by sawdust_128; 08-22-2008 at 01:12 AM.

And,

6. Always get a receipt for your fuel purchase

I put it in perspective in this fashion.....

Compared to the cost of maintaining my planes the cost of operating and maintaining the bus is chump change.

Default Repairs?....what repairs?

We hit the road from Port St. Lucie on June 1, have travelled some 4000 miles, and so far (knock on vitricor) have not had any real issues with the bus. The only couple of problems encountered so far were related solely with the toad braking system and that was resolved.

The only bus-related failure has been the loss of one of our AM/FM radio antennae mast's that bailed out from the roof somewhere in Arkansas, and we have a replacement on board which I will install when the urge hits.

All we have to do is make it back to Florida unscathed and it will have been a truly pleasurable trip.

I had a brake job done last week ($1986) for the rear only; had rotors on tag turned and new drums on the drive axle.

Replaced motor/control unit on Kwikee steps $213

I tore off the muffler straps turning around in a church parking lot driveway; it was way too steep but that didn't stop me. I scraped 2 lines in the concrete about 3 feet long going in and the same thing coming out.

Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead!

Hey Gary, if you weren't spending your money on the Liberty what would you spend it on. Be thankful you've got a nice bus; alot of folks don't

Wanna trade?
    Last edited by merle&louise; 08-22-2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    And,

6. Always get a receipt for your fuel purchase

It was actually your posts that stimulated the considerations that lead to #5. I will add the tidbit above to the How To section under #5.

Petervs Guest

A million miles for a million bucks? Wake up, you must be dreaming!

Heck, with diesel at $5 a gallon and 7.5 mpg we are spending most of a buck a mile on fuel alone. Not to mention repairs, depreciation, etc,etc.

BUT, the experiences are priceless, so we pay what it costs and smile all the way down the road. You can not go down the road in finer style after all.

You sure do not hear of POG members selling the bus and giving up the lifestyle because of repair costs and frequency. I have not heard of any in any case.

PS: Now anytime I see a 3 foot scrape gouge in the asphalt I will know, "Tuga was here!"

My punch list after a 6000 mile trip, just got home last night.

1) Seal behind 270 AMP Alt pully leaking, I installed a new one just before we left home and it lasted 4000 miles. I was told by Ft. Worth and Mira Loma that this happens often. Any input on this would be welcome.

2) the pinion shaft seal on the rear end is leaking, it was leaking when we left but I had no time to get it done. My 99 was leaking at about the same mileage, 118000, I needed a new pinion shaft on the other bus, I will let you know if this one is the same.

3) A few rattles that I have to get after.

4) The remote for the power winder for the power cord is acting up, I hope just a battery for the remote. I should be so lucky.

After a great trip to see Thomas Jefferson's House and few days at a Beautiful lake house on Lake Nantahala in NC, I can say that we had a great trip and never felt like we got even close to needing any help.

Can't wait until the next trip!

Default Repairs, yeah, we got repairs....

Well, I just knew that when I posted earlier that we had no repairs to speak of that our good luck would come to a screeching halt

So, as we made our way into NJ, I was showing the bus off to family and friends when the entertainment bay door failed to unlock when I hit the unlock button.

All bay doors, including the entertainment bay, will lock with the electric lock. However, the entertainment bay door will not unlock by using the keypad, remote fob or inside electric lock switch. Locks OK but not unlock.

So, what's the scoop to fixing this rascal. And, how do I get to it?

I'll be anxiously waiting by the toolbox for comments, suggestions and detailed instruction alike