Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: lousy service at prevost mira loma

Overcharging, replacing without troubleshooting, poor customer service (waiting a week to look at a coach), etc....

All this tells me is that Prevost gets away with this many more times than not which is why they continue the practice, whether intentional or not.

Orren Zook Guest

Well maybe the thought process is that they have a 'captive' audience.... where else can you go for proprietary parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    Well maybe the thought process is that they have a 'captive' audience.... where else can you go for proprietary parts.
    Orren:

Can you ping me off list or private message or email re: front end alignment at your shop in Youngstown, please? Thanks.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    Absolutely part of it I am sure....

The list of proprietary parts is not as big as one might think. Service parts ranging from brake system parts to suspension parts to drive train components are available from sources other than Prevost. Proprietary air bags can be bought from Prevost and as of my last purchase they are the cheapest source anyway, but Prevost does not have to install them. Brake chambers are the reverse. Buying them from Prevost is extremely expensive compared to what you will pay at a truck parts house. It pays to shop.

The metal skins on some coaches can be bought from International Bus in Apopka, FL.

Glass can be bought from Prevost, but anyone can install it. Prevost has good prices on glass.

When we get right down to it the only stuff we really need from Prevost, including the labor for repair or replacement are the big chassis items such as structural stuff or custom components such as the AC condensing and evaporating coils. There are hundreds of items that just make sense to buy from Prevost, and there are certain repairs they should make such as serious body or frame repairs. Those repairs however should be rare.

I think an owner can get good service and fair pricing from Prevost, but apparently to do that the owner must remain involved. It should start with an estimate. If the owner thinks the estimate is too high it is easy to either get a second estimate, or to tap into the experiences we owners on this site have had. I'll bet amongst us we can come up with some fairly accurate estimates of labor hours and component cost for the types of repairs we typically encounter. Some repairs Prevost will not do anyway. They have always sent engine and transmission repairs to Detroit Allison.

Once Prevost is given the approval to proceed, the owner needs to monitor the progress. Ken Zittrer (Bluevost) has an excellent procedure in which he records start and stop times and a list of work performed, comparing it with the invoice. He not only is unlikely to be overcharged, but the mechaincs seem to do higher quality work when they know the owner cares.

There is some work that I think Prevost gets by default. I think slide and skin bonding issues are solely Prevost repairs. If you have a coach needing those repairs you have my sympathy. Unless you can spend the hours necessary, and unless you have convinced Prevost the costs should be borne by them repairs of the skin and slides will have costs that look like the President's budget.

Default Front end Alignment

If estimates for front end alignment are anywhere in anyone"s future, I received an estimate from Prevost Jacksonville for $625 but that includes all 3 axles, they do not do anthing short of that. Quote.

If going to an outside source, what should I look for as to capability, etc?

This is the second post today about an alignment.

While having all the wheels pointed in the right direction and not scuffing their way down the road is good, what is it that indicates an alignment is needed, especially on all three axles? I run my hands around the tires periodically and if something is not lined up properly I can feel it in how the tires wear. Only once on my old coach did I need an alignment and as it turned out the only adjustment was toe in. That need was clearly evident.

Maybe someone can jump in here, but I am trying to picture where and how my drive and tag can be adjusted, but sitting here typing I cannot envision any adjustment points for the drive and tag. I guess I will have to look to be sure.

My comments above relate only to solid front axle coaches. I don't know nuthin about those fancy IFS coaches.

Jon,
    you can adjust the rear drive and tag to make sure they are looking straight and even with the front.

Are you going to make me get under the coach Kevin, or will you be a good guy and tell me where the adjustment is? Is it an excentric on the rod ends?

My brain can't picture it even though I bet I looked at it hundreds of times.

Old age.

Me too, what and where is the adjustment?