Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: lousy service at prevost mira loma

Default Pmo ?

Like an HMO to take care of the health of our bodies, we could use a PMO (Prevost Maintenance Organization) to take care of our buses.

Any possibility of a co-op type of organization where "members" pay annual or monthly fees to participate in the program?

Could we benefit by the power of collective purchases and technicians that were skilled and could be trusted? Are we a large enough group to accomplish such an endeavor or do we have such an attrition rate that it wouldn't be beneficial?

Just kicking around some ideas....

I've been to Prevost Mira Loma 3 different times for warranty work and they were outstanding in their work and getting me scheduled to have it worked on. I would say if you have a problem I would bring it to their attention.

Paul's idea of a Prevost HMO has some merit and could be easily done.

There are routine tasks that should be done to a schedule based on mileage, and some based on calendar time. If an owner would bring his coach in for service at the same time annually I would think that he would have a predictable amount of money to spend at the annual event, and only needed to spend money for the short term service such as a lube or oil change in between.

For example, brake chambers, air bags, coolant changes etc could be put on a calendar schedule. Fluids and filters would be the intermediate tasks.

Where the problems will creep in is when something beyond the scope of preventive maintenance occurs. What happens if the coach starts to lean after its annual service? What if the bay door locks quit working? How will problems with the conversion be handled? A facility that has Marathon expertise may not be able to trouble shoot a problem with a CC.

From experience I know maintenance is ongoing. Once I zeroed out my coach and replaced every filter, every drop of fluid, all brake chambers, all air bags and all Norgrens for example my maintenance requirements did not stop. All I ended up with was a new starting point and now all service is staggered because of varying service intervals for the various tasks. And even in between oil changes or lube jobs I still have a list of little things such as a bad coil on a solenoid valve or a pesky satellite to address.

I know from past experience it is imperitive for me to never let a small problem go unaddressed. When that happens the little things mount up, and some little things turn into serious issues if they are not fixed. The best example I can give is aux air system leaks. When the compressor starts running every 18 hours instead of every 24 hours you know there is a leak. But when that is ignored and the compressor starts cycling evey 10 hours, then 6 hours then every four hours then every five minutes you are in a world of hurt because you have no clue whether you have one big leak or 10 smaller ones. Hours upon hours can be spent chasing that problem and if you are paying someone to do that it can run into thousands of dollars.

The same applies to the leans. Ignore the first sign of the leans and from that point on as they worsen you really don't know if you are after one leak that is getting bigger or more than one.

So an HMO for buses all of a sudden takes on a rather complex shape. Does an owner come in for every little problem ASAP, or are they to accumulate and become part of an annual preventive maintenance schedule? Who works on the house? What about stuff that has the need to be done by Prevost such as rebuilding a slide, replacing a seal or dealing with some of the more serious problems?

What we need is for Prevost to revert back to the Prevost of old. Today Prevost is hit and miss. Some work they have been doing according to folks in POG is exceptional. Some according to POG members not only sucks, but is too expensive. It sounds to me like an owner that does not have a personal knowledge and relationship with one of the more qualified techs is gambling with his money and his coach. The work should be first class and at a reasonable price, but as has been posted in some cases the owner is paying for on the job training and the results are often unsatisfactory, which prompts this whole discussion in the first place.

How do owners that do not want to do their own work want an HMO to work? I do know the more proactive the maintenance schedule is, the less surprises, but in no way can anyone expect to go for months or even a year without service requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    Like an HMO to take care of the health of our bodies, we could use a PMO (Prevost Maintenance Organization) to take care of our buses.

Any possibility of a co-op type of organization where "members" pay annual or monthly fees to participate in the program?

Could we benefit by the power of collective purchases and technicians that were skilled and could be trusted? Are we a large enough group to accomplish such an endeavor or do we have such an attrition rate that it wouldn't be beneficial?

Just kicking around some ideas....
    Paul, I say we move Joe down into Tenn. somewhere near Jon. They open a facility and hire Jim C. for detail accounting and record keeping/research !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I suspect Jim is only partly kidding. I am sure that within this group there resides enough talent and ability to tackle almost any problem on almost any bus beyond DD or Allison major repairs.

The problem however is logistical. We are national in scope. So instead of moving Joe to TN, We need a traveling road crew that starts somewhere in NJ and travel southward and then upon covering Florida continues westward along the gulf, through TX and the southwest, eventually reaching the CA coast and traveling northward from there.

The road crew then dead heads across most of the northern tier stopping at the members in NE, IL, OH, etc until reaching the east coast and starting over.

Any time an owner needs to travel for service such as I had to when we were in western NY, it eats up time and money. I had a one way distance of 400 miles to Prevost in NJ or 500 miles westward to Chicago for Liberty. At todays costs those are some hefty expenses before any service is performed and almost unjustified if the work is not done correctly and a return trip is required.

I vote for a traveling road crew.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I know we will be bouncing around Florida the entire month of January and I know that is a popular location for many that time of the year. If any will be there and would like to take something apart I will have my tools with me.

I currently have stops to make in River Ranch, Port St. Lucie and Titusville. We will spend the last week of the month in the keys but other than that we will be going where the wind and the road take us.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    I know we will be bouncing around Florida the entire month of January and I know that is a popular location for many that time of the year. If any will be there and would like to take something apart I will have my tools with me.

I currently have stops to make in River Ranch, Port St. Lucie and Titusville. We will spend the last week of the month in the keys but other than that we will be going where the wind and the road take us.
    Joe, It sounds like you have the potential to start what Jon just talked about. Actually a Traveling Road Crew is a better idea than mine.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Joe,

PM coming your way.

Mike

Thumbs down More Crappy Service PVML

Well, here is another one for you. Earlier in the year, I had my L3 service done at PVML, along the way, they called me to tell me that I had a fuel leak in the gen bay. I had seen some drips there before, but have never had the time to delve into it, so I told them to go ahead and fix it.

I used it a couple of weeks later and noted it still leakedin the same spot, not a great deal but I paid to get it fixed, what the heck. So when I was on my quest for tires last week just down the street from PVML, I stopped in and asked if they could check this.

They said that it was the fuel pump, I told them to put another one in. They said they had to get it from Marathon... Sheesh... Jason the Service Manager happened by, and I told him that I had already paid to have this fixed and as far as I was concerned it was on them.

He said he would check into it and call back.

I am sure you will all be shocked but he didn't call back! Hard to believe isn't it?

I called today and asked him what the deal was. He told me the pump was available and it was like 315.00 (this is an electric fuel pump, seems high to me). I told him again, that cost wasn't a factor to me as I had already paid to get this fixed.

He said their records showed they fixed a fuel LINE, and they weren't responsible for anything else.

So much for their little signs all over outlining their service promises. These include..

* We go that extra mile for you
    * We promise to fix it right the first time

And many others. They should promise you a nice brown crock to put all this BS into!

I told him I wanted to speak to someone up the food chain to complain about service, he gave me Mark Armstrong's name, but he won't be in for a week .. LOL

I suppose if I had time to pull this pump and ask some of the resident experts it won't come close to 300+ labor.

Its a shame that when you choose to shell out instead of finding time, you get boinked anyway!

Warren,

What brand generator?

I had to replace the fuel pump on my Kohler which uses a Yanmar engine. It took about 10 minutes (I'm not kidding).

The fuel pump was pricey, but the time to install it was minimal.

I cannot imagine a fuel pump leaking. Usually it is a fitting or one of the "banjo" fittings.