Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridge Weight Limits

rff105 Guest

Default Bridge Weight Limits

Now that I look for low clearance signs everywhere I drive, even in my pick-up truck, I was wondering how you guys handle bridge weight limits. I have not weighed our H3 yet but I am guessing it is somewhere north of 25 tons. 20+ tons should not be a problem on most state routes but I can see how you could come across some lower weight limit bridges in rural areas getting to campgrounds. I know there is a safety factor of three built in there but that assumes the bridge inspector is right. I don’t want to end up at the bottom of a stream and I am sure our insurance company does not want to buy a new bus and a bridge.

What kind of weight limit bridge will you cross and when do you start looking to back-up and find another way around? It also makes a difference how long the bridge is, if the whole bus will be on the bridge at one time or only the front and rear axles independently.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

This is a good discussion topic.

See this thread: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...e+meter+canada

More recent experience with Fast Roger Foster, in I believe what was the Great State of Missouri on the Black Horse Road (there is some dispute about all of this after the fact) a Prevost is not intended to be driven on a gravel road leading to a 1930's Model T WPA bridge.

It was my contention that a guy could get up enough speed to make it safely over the bridge, but Fast Roger's assessment was different. He backed around and went back...

But you could see and hear the Interstate from where we were! Just one bridge to cross...

Default Don't count on speed...

I hope that everyone realizes that bridge design considers several elements, one of which is impact, which is based on the speed of the approach.

The real bad news is.....faster is worse, not better, for the loading on the bridge members.

On the plus side, in most cases, it's not he initial overload condition that results in a collapse, as it merely stresses the structure and prepares it for failure....... it's the next, perhaps smaller load (think school bus) that ends up at the bottom of the creek.

Actually..... not much of a plus after all....

Just Plain Jeff Guest

I never said that going across a marginal bridge would necessarily leave it particularly good condition for the next guy.

win42 Guest

According to all the Roadrunner - Coyote cartoons, I have learned faster is better when it comes to bridges and cliffs. There are some bridges in the midwest to be concerened about weight on. There are some bridges west of Tulsa you need to take turns crossing on. You do not want to smack mirrors with another rig , it tends to take your ear off with your mirror. Heads up!!

We have to be careful when crossing bridges with the weight of our busses. A friend of mine, who drives truck, was just fines $17,000 in Virginia because he crossed a bridge that had a reduced weight limit on it. It was in a construction zone, he did not see the detour signs nor the weight warning signs (or he ignored them) and the cop was waiting for him when he reached the other side.

Default Sucessful Back Pedal

JPJ: I would consider that decision to be an award winning turn around.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I have never seen a bus being scaled, although we like the rest of you, have those one or two little towns close by that have figured out an additional revenue source by having a weight patrol and while traveling you may encounter one by accident, lost, complete with Barny Fife.

I think the cop would have to be a real jerk to fine a motor home/bus for overweight but if he was and if he did, in Illinois it would be 75 bucks for every thousand pounds over the limit.

So on a 5 ton limit, like the street I live on, I'd be 16 ton over w/o the toad, at 75 a thousand, that would be a 2400 dollar fine.

As far as bridges I would not cross one that was marked anything under 20 ton because of both safety and a potential fine.

There is a law for commercial vehicles that legally allows them 5 miles off any exit ramp from any interstate system for 5 reasons no matter what the local restrictions.

To sleep
    To eat
    To fuel
    To load or unload
    To make repairs

When pulled over and approached you had better be using one of these reasons cause, I'm lost or I'm going around a back-up will earn you a trip to the scale and then the cash station.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 12-10-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Red face What bridge wt. limits

Last Fall we got into a detour in Mississippi that directed big trucks down a Black road,(narrow no shoulder) and after cresting a hill 50 yards below was the worst looking bridge I have ever seen. On my tail was a gravel hauler trying to run us over. No use trying to stop and as we flew over the bridge I got a side glance at a load limit sign that said Two,(2), ton limit-oh sh_t, we going swimming and be covered with gravel too. Well,some how the bridge held and whoo--!!! No more wonderful Mississippi back roads to see the country sights for us!!

Unfortunately, many times it isn't the initial over limit load that sends the driver into the drink. Many times that initial load stresses and weakens the bridge members but they don't fail....just yet.

It's the next heavy load that ends up at the bottom. Especially true with those country road timber bridges.