Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOLDING BREATH 101, here we go again,.

Default HOLDING BREATH 101, here we go again,.

Well,,,,,,
    We just submitted two offers on 2 different 40 ft XL's I found as repo's. I don't think either offer will fly, since we low-balled them. Both suffer from lack of use and neglect, and I got a hefty estimate from Prevost that was the reason for the low offer. The repair and servicing is 35K$$$$$ Neither coach has much if any Preventive maintenance history, and one has NO Prevost or Detroit Diesel history at all. Its like it fell off the planet for 10 years. As we know, just with tires, and batteries we are talking over $10K.. So, the clock is ticking. Our deadline to hear back is Friday August 25th. This will give us travel time over the weekend to go see these 2 rigs.

We will see.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 08-19-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Good luck on your offers. Hope at least one of them works out. Sounds as if either one will keep you busy and off the streets for a while. Keep us posted.

Bonnie

Jim there may not be any written records of service for either coach, but they both have DD computer information stored in the computer memory. Get the codes read and if the memory has been cleared anytime in the past, run away as fast as you can. Good luck, go get a good one!!

Jim and Chris....good luck.

Short of the engine or transmission having expensive problems there is not much under the coach that cannot be replaced, thus putting the coach in new condition. $1100 for air bags and 12 hours of work. Maybe $700 for brake chambers (tops) and about 6 hours of work. $900 for all new Norgrens and solenoid valves depending on the converter and 45 minutes for each.

That leaves brake disks and drums, brake pads or shoes, wheel bearings and hub seals. All easily replaced with a little work. If you don't want to do it yourself drop it off at Joe C's house. It is improbable you would ever find a bus so bad all the above needed replacement at the same time.

Allow for all fluids and filters so you have the maintenance schedule starting point and you will have a trouble free coach that only requires routine preventive maintenance.

I know you guys can handle anything on the interior.

Be sure to let us know the results.

Thanks all,
    Yes, we will look at the engine codes for sure.
    Candidate #1, one is 1997 XL over 100K miles. A DMI by Prevost says.
    Oil leak oil pan, oil leak air compressor, wiper motor inop, needs tires, batteries, may need suspension rubber products, air bags etc. Then fluids, belts, filters, hoses, the house part of the coach is unknown.

Candidate #2, is 1999 XL, sat for long time, 42K miles.Prevost DMI shows Shocks leak, all rubber suspension products deteriorated, seals gone, needs tires, needs batteries, been long time since plugged in, No DD history, no Prevost history, wipers inop, Frig may not work, genset airbags gone. Stater may be shot.

Both may have cabinet delamination from heat, other interior heat related issues, won't know until we get there. My have leaks. We just don't know.

Time will tell if our offers are entertained.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 08-19-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    Previous 22 years,

Jim,

Who made the conversion ?

Alek

They are both Marathons.
    Jim and Chris
    Previous 22 years,

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think it would be safe to assume that whatever Prevost estimated is probably more than double a reasonable cost.

Jim I do not think anyone in the group bought a bus that was more neglected that ours.

It all came back online beautifully and has proven to be a good decision.

Good luck, maybe you will get them both and then you can have a fleet to go along with your airstream's

Ya know I did find one good thing that resulted from the absence of any maintenance and it was nobody got in there and changed or buggered anything up and that was a good thing. That along with the price.

Half of that stuff would probably have to be done to a "nice" one of that age anyway.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-19-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Good luck guys, must be the H is sold or you can't wait to be part of the exclusive TBC.

Hey Joe,

No Prevost Fleet for us. Got word a few minutes ago that Volvo Motor Credit will pass on both of our offers. These coaches are both unattended and not plugged in and deteriorating, all systems operated as the batteries went flat, now both coaches are dead. Volvo didn't even make a counter offer.
    So, with no numbers in hand to tell where they were coming from, we won't take the time to see them. Pity, I was up for road trip. I emailed back and said if Volvo Credit changes their minds in a few months ( they have had one for 3 already) to let us know. Guess now I don't have to worry about selling "Lily."
    Jim and Chris
    Previous 22 years,