Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are these parts??

sawdust_128 Guest

Question What are these parts??

Does any body recognize these? Part of a tow bar assembly but are these particular to the previous owners TOAD? Brand?

P.S. I know the belt and the Lic. Plate bracket -- just in case.

Maybe a Blue Ox adapter to Roadmaster?
    Last edited by sawdust_128; 06-25-2009 at 10:26 PM.

I believe that those are parts from a Roadmaster tow bar. The long piece is the part that attaches to the towbar. The other 2 smaller pieces are pieces that attach to the vehicle. Usually those 2 smaller pieces are particular to a specific make and model of vehicle.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Thanks

I think you are correct. I looked at the roadmaster web and it looks very similar.

Lee Bornstein Guest

It is definitely a Roadmaster. The rusty pieces slip into brackets that are attached to the frame of the car. Those brackets are part of the "base plate" and without the brackets that were left on the car the stuff you have is basically worthless unless you find someone with same type car that had a front-end collision and bent up their tow bar brackets.

Lee

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bornstein View Post
    It is definitely a Roadmaster. The rusty pieces slip into brackets that are attached to the frame of the car. Those brackets are part of the "base plate" and without the brackets that were left on the car the stuff you have is basically worthless unless you find someone with same type car that had a front-end collision and bent up their tow bar brackets.

Lee

Yes. That makes sense. I won't use them, but I thought if I knew what they were, I could at least advertise them availible to anyone who would want to arrange to get them. Maybe I'll send the picture to Roadmaster with the question. I hate to dump them in the scrap steel bin if they will help someone out.

Do you think they are worth the effort? Are they safe? I just don't know Roadmaster at all.

They are valuable. Either hang on to them for future use or find someone that needs them.

I think those are the universal parts that mate up to the custom receivers that ount on the vehicle chassis.

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    They are valuable. Either hang on to them for future use or find someone that needs them.

I think those are the universal parts that mate up to the custom receivers that ount on the vehicle chassis.

Sorry to be dense. Are those custom receivers on the coach or towed vehicle? I don't recollect seeing any receivers on the coach that they would mate up to.

Do you agree with the previous initial assessment that they look like Roadmaster parts (custom or not)?

Yes, they look like Roadmaster parts. The parts with the square tubing slide into receivers that are permanently mounted to a toad, generally somewhat hidden. The long part then drops onto those parts and the folding tow bar is mounted to it with heavy bolts.

That way when the toad is not being used as a toad the folding tow bar can be removed.

I have seen a trend however to where the tow bar is attached to the coach using the coach hitch receiver, and the tow bar then attaches to attach points on the toad. That way the toad never has a tow bar folded on its front. The tow bar is stowed by folding it against the rear bumper of the bus.

Bring them with you to Spearfish. If you do not want them somebody might. Personally I prefer that method to the one in which the two bar folds against the bus rear bumper.

Dust Man,

Here is what Jon's talking about. I had several of these and you either have the one as pictured that attaches to the 2" ball on your receiver or the one that is actually the receiver itself and eliminates the 2" ball.

Roadmaster.jpg

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Thanks Rick, Lee, Jon & Tom

The parts in the picture are the only parts I have. They were left by the previous owner. Being the nit picker that I am at times, I will clean and paint these and hold for someone who can use them. I will be ordering the Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar today.