Thread: Gas filled door pistons?

Default Gas filled door pistons?

Went to change a couple of those gas filled pistons on my bus today. (The ones that hold the bay doors open.) For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the old ones off. The new ones are all black with a very simple little piece of metal that you lift up to "open" the retaining clip. But the old ones are strange. They have some sort of snap ring that fits into a tiny little hole? I was easily able to unsnap the ring and pull it off. I presumed it would free the piston socket to be pulled off that little ball. I'm super careful with my hands, so I didn't pull that hard (I did try to pry it off with a screw driver, but not hard enough to bend anything.) What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions as to how to take off the old, or hints about how to put on the new would be most appreciated.

Much thanks,

Adam
    p.s. my, though a 96 Marathon, is a 95 XLV shell.

dalej Guest

Sounds like you have the idea Adam, just pry a bit harder. If you can push the door up and prop it up this will take the strut all the out and you'll be able to center the ball so it comes off a little easier. Sound like you are working against the ball a little.

To add what Dale said, there is a small locking lever at the door hindge side which will lock the door to the open position.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

some of them are hard to access the clip,you can take off one end and turn the cylinder counter clockwise and unscrew the other end without taking off the clip.The doors are heavy,support them,I have used 2X4s cut to the right length.

Default Second question

I know about the clip on the side of the door... the one that holds my door up when I want it to stay open... since the pistons don't work. Will that hold the door up once both pistons are off? One post suggested 2X4's.... is that necessary if the clip is engaged?

Will pry again tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Adam

dalej Guest

The saftey clip will hold up the door well. If you push the door up another few inches it just makes it easier to remove the struts since they are all the way out. Once the old strut is wore oblong a little bit it acts as a wedge and makes removal a little hard, but it can be done.

Take a large screwdriver and put it between the ball and rod and just twist.
    Last edited by dalej; 08-16-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks Dale! I think I can do that.
    Adam