Thread: Engine Compartment Washing

Default Engine Compartment Washing

Any special do's or dont's on turning a hose to the inside of the engine compartment? After encountering many dusty roads across Montana and Wyoming I want to wash this area out...if possible.

Brent

I would make sure you can dry any areas which may hold water, keep water away from the electronics, wires terminations which connect to your Detroit Deisel Computer, and only use a low volume sprayer, no high pressure.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I often clean the engine. With the exception of the electrical box and the DDEC computer I have no concerns about soaping it up with a cleaner (I use Aviation Simple Green because it will not harm aluminum), brushing it into the greasy spots and then hosing the entire engine off.

Don't forget the radiator which gets its fins coated with the film of fine dust, diesel exhaust and anything else that might get sucked through it.

As long as you are doing it, clean the tops of the batteries and make sure the terminals are corrosion free.

The only restriction as Gary mentioned is use a low pressure hose, especially around the delicate radiator fins.

Apart from having an engine that will look cleaner than the King's, the advantage to cleaning it is that once you have removed all the dirt and grease and crud from the engine it makes those minor leaks easily noticed. They can then be fixed before they become serious issues.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

If you have never seen a semi get an engine wash at any Blue-Beacon or similar franchised truck wash you may be surprised.

It gets blasted with 1500psi hot water I have never seen one not get restarted.

I do however agree it is prudent to be careful around electrical components but considering the alternative (a truck-wash) I think you would be hard pressed to do any damage with a hose.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-14-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Lightbulb

In general never wash any mechanical equipment when it is hot.
    Various parts may crack, and or warp. Also it is somewhat easier for water to get by seals at that time.

Ask the "King of Bling" what not to get too wet.

Default Engine Wash

Don't wash, polish. Just kidding. Stay away from the fire alarm sensors in the ceiling of the engine compartment. If they get wet you can have an intermitten siren coming from the right (passenger) side of the dash. A real pain to get to. Stay away from applying degreasers to the idler bearings on your belts. You can eventualy wash out the lubricant and cook a bearing. No high pressure, use garden hose , Jons soap and a brush. Then polish.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

As always...thanks everyone.

Brent