Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance info

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Insurance info

I am shopping hard for insurance and would appreciate any referals on agents and/or agencies you have had good experience with.

Liberty suggested Gilbert RV Insurance, Inc.

I picked up on Explorer from number of you on the forum and have quotes from them .

Lastly, I see reference to "Thumb" in many of the posts on the forum. Who/what is "Thumb"?

As always, any assistance appreciated and hopefully I will be able to discern the "made up" answers from the good stuff.

I have no knowledge of anybody except National Interstate through Explorer.

Four years ago through an error by Carrier my rear engine compartment on our first bus was involved in a fire. They stepped up to the plate and never blinked. They authorized Prevost to make the bus right, including a full replacement of the hoses in the AC system since it was high internal AC system pressures that blew the seal that started the chain of events leading to the fire.

My bus got repaired and my only expense was the deductible. The bus was fully and properly restored with no resistance on the insurance company's part.

Default Gilbert RV Insurance

I had a total loss on my Buster from the hangar file in April. My policy was with Gilbert. Gilbert really had NOTHING to do with the claim...told me to call a 800 #. The policy was with Assurant out of Phoenix. They were EXCELLENT to deal with. Have Explorer and Gilbert give you a quote and ask who they are placing the policy with. BTW...I did engage an attorney based on the advice of the POG menbers and it was very good advice. It cost me $1800...however I was paid the full policy amount less the deductible.

Still looking for the next Buster.

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Insurance follow up?

I have checked with every one of the referenced companies. However, Explorer is quoting "Continental Car Club" for roadside emergency service. I don't find much on them at all and the most informative one was a very negative rant.

Gilbert has something for emergency roadside and will send me "stuff" on it. However, it sounds like it is exclusively a "towing to a repair center" offering. What do you think?

Have never done this type of coverage before, any comments, suggestions, advise?

I've considered taking it all and evaluating and adjusting coverages in 6 months.

Please realize you are talking about two different things in your last post, But I am sure you were aware of that?

Continental Car is a RoadSide assistance program, and really has nothing to do with the overall bus Insurance you originally asked for information on.

We have Explorer Insurance on the bus, and Coach-Net for Roadside assistance http://coachnet.coach-net.com/cnet/index.htm.

Luckily I haven't needed the Explorer Insurance yet.

Gary S.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust_128 View Post
    I have checked with every one of the referenced companies. However, Explorer is quoting "Continental Car Club" for roadside emergency service. I don't find much on them at all and the most informative one was a very negative rant.

Gilbert has something for emergency roadside and will send me "stuff" on it. However, it sounds like it is exclusively a "towing to a repair center" offering. What do you think?

Have never done this type of coverage before, any comments, suggestions, advise?

I've considered taking it all and evaluating and adjusting coverages in 6 months.
    You really don't need a roadside assistance policy. My policy with National Interstate, written by Explorer will cover any towing or emergency repair that any roadside assistance policy will cover. If I need help, I check the "rig down" website and call for help. That is all a roadside company can do and I rather be in contact with the tow company myself rather than depend on some outside source. If it makes you feel more secure, buy the additional coverage, but you don't need it with National Interstate.

lewpopp Guest

Ted, to my recollection, Explorer does not cover vehicle retrieval without the Continental Car coverage. We should clarify this. I just dropped the FMCA co for towing and signed up with Explorer . Straighten us out.

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    Ted, to my recollection, Explorer does not cover vehicle retrieval without the Continental Car coverage. We should clarify this. I just dropped the FMCA co for towing and signed up with Explorer . Straighten us out.

Lew, we're in Florida right now and my notes and policy are in the bus over across the bay. I will go over tomorrow and confirm what I was told when I bought the poicy. Stay tuned.

OK, here is what my policy states:

Towing Reimbursement, "Reasonable Expense"

A $5 premium add on.

Towing is to the nearest qualified facility.

No deductable applies to this coverage.

Emergency Expense Coverage, up to $750 each occurrence, $1 add on

Recepts required, no deductable.

I see no need for an additional "roadside assistance" policy.

If I need a wrecker, I want to talk to the wrecker operator myself. A lot of folks have a wrecker show up that is unable to properly handle a bus. Towing a Prevost is a whole different deal than towing a "motorhome" and you want a professional towing outfit, not some amateur wrecker driver.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Insurance advice needed

I'm in process of insurring all 3 of my busses and I think I'm going to use Explorer. Just called for quote but no one available and have to wait for call back. I THINK, the last time I check on insuring my 1999 shell it was a no go since it doesn't have living quarters, kitchen, etc. they won't insure it. I mainly just want insurance for theft, fire, vandelism, etc. Any suggestions on how to get that insured ?

Also, I'm tagged in Montana but not under a seperate LLC. It's under my regular business which is a C corp. Bennett Law Office got my business licences to practice in the state on Montana to make it all legit. I did that as a business expense write off since I actually traveling the country calling on customers. Now that it's paid off, I'm wondering if I should get Bennett to make a seperate LLC to distance my company from liability. I'm not residing in CA anymore anyway which is where the C corp is based and I'm in process of opening up a new Florida Corp where I live. It can get complicated. This is one thing I need expert advise on so I don't write a policy with Explorer that they can later on come back and find loop holes in to not pay.

I also called Progressive for a quote which was about $1,800 a year but thier sysem doesn't really have drop downs for our coches and the particular converters. I have a feeling I'm going to want to go with Explorer, again, to avoid any pitfalls that Progressive might come back and find that makes the policy illiget. They'll take my money with no questions asked but if it comes time to pay a claim, my gut tells me that I'm better with Explorer.