Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Air Bag Bench Test: how do I do that?

When I shopped the bags on line I got the trade number for them from Prevost. Air bags are apparently generic. My first problem was nobody carried those air bags. Apparently Prevost either has something unique about them, or it is a relatively rare number. My bus has two different numbers. Some use all the same air bags.

Making matters worse, nobody came close to Prevost on air bag prices, especially after I negotiated a quantity discount of almost $20.00 per air bag. The closest I could come from anybody was about $60 more per air bag.

So the bottom line is unless and until Prevost gets enough warranty claims due to defective air bags they will not be changing suppliers. This is especially true if the air bags used on new buses are a different part number than the one we use on our older coaches. The can't get real excited about crappy air bags because they have no labot invested. But if the air bags used on new coaches are experiencing similar quality issues, and their warranty costs go out of site because a mechanic is spending a day or two per bus to sort out bad air bags the fit will hit the shan.

Quote Originally Posted by hobobimmer View Post
    Is there another manufacturer of identical, but possibly leak free, bag? I think I have heard that Firestone makes bags. Anyone else? Would they possibly be direct replacements?

Joe, we feel your pain dealing with leaky air bags that should not be leaking.

eric and debbie faires
    huntsville, TN
    eric,

I have Firestone air bags on my coach and (knock on aluminum) I haven't had any leaks. My previous coach was 13 years old when I sold it; no leaks.
    It might be worth a phone call!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

Eric and Deb have leak free bags on their coach now. The issue is not that Firestone is necessarily better than Goodyear or BF Goodrich, but knowing when the bags are installed they don't leak is the most critical thing for anyone who does replace their air bags.

We change air bags because we have the leans or because the air bags have aged out and are starting to dry rot. The expectation is whatever air bags we get will be leak free.

We have zero ability to determine who makes the best air bags. There are folks who have had BF Goodrich on their coach for 15 to 18 years and they still don't lean. But like Joe and Debbie can attest they have brand new ones that do leak. Prevost installs thousands of these annually and they like other OEM companies can prove via data collected by their QC departments whose air bags have been the most trouble free, but they are not about to share that info with us or anyone else.

I don't think Newell even produces coaches in sufficient quantities to be able to state authoritatively who makes the "best" air bag. Consumer reports does not have a test program for them.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The 2 replacement air bags for the 2 leakers came the day before yesterday I installed them yesterday I got up this morning and they are both showing bubbles around that top crimp.

Good Grief

Just for some #'s I have installed 3 sets this summer and adding the replacements its 26 bags total and 4 were no good.

Wink Practice Makes Perfect

Joe, from now on your going to be BAG MAN. What do you think? Is that OK?

JIM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Elgin is sending me 2 more from a different inventory stock, in Florida. They are contacting their purchasing agent to make him aware of the situation.

I called and spoke to a Jim who is the parts manager in Nashville and he has not heard of any problems before this.

If these two they send me tomorrow show bubbles I will not request any more until something is done to my satisfaction.

Respectfully, The Bag Man-Chicago Cartel

I think it is a bad batch. Jon did both his buses and Rodgers and I did Loydes and Warrens without incident. Then Erik comes up with 2 bad ones and I find 4 and all in short order.

If Nashville says they never had problems, perhaps Debbie should go down there and hit the guy up side the head. If I recall the conversation with Deb that was the same fertilizer he told her.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Well boys and girls this CC I am currently working on has really been a lesson in perseverance.

I had to pull a bran new 3-port norgren I installed and replace it with another bran new 3-port cause, guess what, it was a leaker

Then after I got it in and switched the level low back to road mode, it wouldn't. The particular coil that operates that solenoid in the steer bay decided to quit, switched 2 around to verify that. All the while Tully the owner was in route to pick it up

Sheesh

He was very understanding and agreed that it is better the thing failed here and not out on the shoulder of I-65.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 11-10-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I received the CATALOG of papers and questions that have to be completed to return new defective parts that have been installed back to Prevo.

Orren sent me a PM wanting the skew off of the bags so he could cross them to Firestone so he can start stocking them.

If he can get them at similar cost I have ordered my last suspension component from Prevo.

He also mentioned switching to Firestone because of problems with Goodyear, he is currently traveling and did not elaborate.

The ride heights, Norgrens, air driers and shocks I'm sure he can do.

dalej Guest

Your doing a great job Joe!