Thread: Recirculation shield

jelmore Guest

Default Recirculation shield

On our 1999 chassis, there is what's called a recirculation shield that hangs down below the radiators. Like all I've seen, it's bent from being dragged or bumped a few times. Prevost Parts gave me 4 part numbers that I couldn't figure out but said it was on page XL-0155-01 of something. I've looked through their publications that can be downloaded and haven't found it. Any idea how I can replace this item? Might just need the stainless part. Need to get this done so it will look sharp for the next owner.

Jim,

I do not have this on my coach, but I have seen a number of coaches that have them, few of which have the shield in an unbent condition.

If I had one on my coach I would likely remove it and use it as a template to make a replacement from heavy rubber such as mud flap material. Replacing it will not prevent it from getting damaged the first time you pull out of a steep driveway or have to back your rear end over a parking bumper.

Just my $.02.

BTW, it is a critical part of the coach and is intended to maintain a separation between the cool air pulled through the radiator and the hot air exhausted by the fan so it should not be left off or bent so its purpose is defeated.

jelmore Guest

Yep, I know it is important. Inside the door, it says warranty will be voided if it is removed. It actually is a heavy piece of rubber with a stainless piece a little smaller on the outside. Do you know what book the Prevost Parts man might have been using when he looked at page XL-0155-01, and if it can be downloaded? Do you have that book?

And, maybe I should just remove the bent stainless and leave the rubber thing.

Jim,

With a little patience you can go to the Prevost Car site, and through the maintenance section access parts listings. You can also gain access to serial number specific maintenance manuals also.

It is doubtful you can download an engineering drawing of the part, but it might show an assembly to give you an idea of its methods of attachment and how it is assembled.

The easy way might be to drop it off, and if all that is wrong is some bent sheet metal, remove the metal part and either have a local shop duplicate it, or if the rubber part isn't very floppy, just leave it without the sheet metal (that is likely just decorative). Actually it would be unnoticed most of the time if it wasn't for the fact that the stainless stands out.