Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying J

Default Flying J

I received a flyer in the mail last night for the new Flying J Mastercard. Didn't think much about it until I started reading the flyer. It indicates that effective September 1, 2008, the only way to get the cash price at the truck diesel pumps is by using the FJ Mastercard. The RV Card will get you a 1 cent discount or more (up to 4 cents per gallon with a 300 gallon limit per month) depending on how much you spend inside the store, but not the cash price (as I read the flyer). The card does indicate no annual fee "ever". It looks like to keep the bus running on cheaper fuel it is time to get the FJ Mastercard. Based on our average miles per year resulting in about 3K gallons of fuel thats a savings of $200+ per year based on the credit upcharge of 7 cents per gallon. I wish they could just leave the RV card as is.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

I received the same mailer. I read the .04 discount on GASOLINE only and that's if you buy junk in their store, diesel is mired at he .01/gallon level. One cent per gallon that's a whopping 1/4 of 1% with 4.00 fuel....mighty damn nice of them!

Solution, don't stop at Flying J and certainly don't lower your FICO score by adding another credit card to the pile......
    Last edited by flyu2there; 08-12-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: sp

Loc,

What did the flyer say about fueling at the RV pumps? Presently, paying with a CC FJ will give you the cash price + .01/gallon off @ the RV pumps if you have a rewards fueler card, and you don't have to spend money inside. I know that fueling at the RV pump is a pain, but I think that's what FJ wants us to do. It is also cleaner (less diesel to walk thru) around the RV pumps than the truck lanes.

Just my .02
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Petervs Guest

I am not planning to get the Flying J mastercard.

Most good credit cards, like the one I use, gives a 1% rebate on all purchases, and that is 4 cents or more now on diesel.

I will just keep using it. Other truck stops in the west are generally more expensive than Flying J, even if the 3 cent discount goes away.

One thing to remember, "cash price", from a Flying J viewpoint, has always meant ' not sold on open account' which meant the company paid at the end of the month.

Oh for the good old days, Sept 13, 2001, first fill up on our new bus, $1.13 a gallon.

dalej Guest

We headed to Phoenix for a wedding on 9.11.01 the first stop around noon we are passing a fuel stop and the price is 1.92. I told Jan, if it gets to 2.00 we are turning around and heading home, I'm not paying $2 for diesel! It was a temp spike, since everyone thought the world was coming to a end.

When we first started driving the bus in 1998, Okie City was 87.9

I didn't start recording the cost of fuel until I started using the coach for business travel so I don't remember what I paid for fuel during 1990 and 1991. But in 1992 the first recorded cost was $.959.

From then through 1996 the highest recorded was $1.239, with the bulk of the costs per gallon bouncing between $.959 and $1.139. In 1997 the low was $.989 and the high was $1.339. In 1998 however the high was $1.069 and many costs were around .$899 with several at $.779. Those were the good old days. Fuel during 1999 started out at $.819, but by the end of the year it was near $1.209 almost all the time. From then on prices have risen until the unexplained drop in mid 2002 when they fell back from the $1.50 range to a long period at around $1.179. Through 2004 they rose back up to the $1.50 range again.

In August 2004 I got our current coach and the first fill up was at $1.739 which was the lowest on that coach. It has not come near that price since.

I wouldn't mind having my investments appreciate as much as the price of diesel fuel has from 1998 to the present.

Nope, no flying J Mastercard for us. We will fuel at Pilot or Petro which still gives a good discount with their fuel cards, similar to the FJ card. The FJ RV islands seem to be designed to almost impossible for our busses to get in and out. We don't ever buy anything in the FJ stores or the others, just fuel.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Tuga,

It didn't say.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Our last experiance at Flying J was they do not accept Visa any longer. So we will have to get a FJ or other Master Card or carry around a kings ransome in cash to buy fuel. Remember it could get worse (NOBAMMA)
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

I read my Flying J letter today and called them. I was told that if I use my Discover Card (1% rebate from Discover) in the RV lane I will get the cash price (usually .04 or more) plus the .01 frequent fueler discount. I asked the FJ employee to repeat it and it is exactly as stated above.

So if the diesel is $4.00/gallon I get a .09/gallon discount.

That ain't bad!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot