Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Spark Here

Default No Spark Here

I seem to be getting my share of nagging problems, I guess it comes with the new bus ownership and several months at sea.

Last night Pam started the dishwasher at about 10 PM and we went to bed, all was good until the Auto Gen started and took over the AC powers supply to the bus.

I assumed we had tripped the shore power at the outside box. went out and examined the breakers, all good, looked at the surge protector all good but no AC to the bus.

I reset the main shore power breaker at the bus, reset both inverters (trace) to factory defaults reset the Aux DC breaker (Marathon) and all sub breakers, no AC to the inverters. I have AC to my shore main breaker and when I disconnect the shore power light and beeper goes off but still no power to the inverters.

On a Marathon there is a device called a T-50 load protector that manages over and under voltages to both the Main and Aux panels and I was wondering if this could be the source of the problem??

I have checked all values on the inverters, all events, nothing seems out of order, but there is no AC power to the inverters or coming through the inverters.

If the inverters do not like the power they see its my understanding they will not allow it to flow through the inverters to the various equipment??? I thought that the surge protector also made these decisions as well?? I assumed if the surge protector allowed the power to pass through it the power was good to enter the bus?? Wrong/right???

I am running the genset no problem all is normal and we are getting ready to head over the border to Maine.

Any thoughts would be valuable. I see nothing whatsoever wrong with any values at the inverters.

Thanks.

Bruce

Does the internal T-50 have status lights or panel to indicate whether or not you are getting good power at that point? If you don't have one, you might consider getting an external one, just to be able to pre-check external campsites before plugging in. Best price seems to be at tweetys.com.

ray

I had a similar problem on a recent trip and it turned out to be the power at the pole. Both legs were showing voltage, but one would not supply any amperage. The lights were all working on the load box, the inverters showed line voltage, but with all the "stuff" on in the bus, the generator would start because it wasn't getting enough amps from the pole.

We swapped spots and the problem went away.

Also, our coach has an inverter bypass so you can go straight to shore power if needed.

Bruce,

We have internal built in protection, but I'm still using this:
    http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=6771

Alek

Good morning Alek,

The surge protector that you are using may give you some answers. There is an readout on the front. It will go through the Hertz, volts, and amps from both legs. After that there is a readout of any errors, E0 being none. The description of what each error code means is on front of unit. It may be that that unit is not allowing the passing of electricity to the bus.

I have the same surge protector,one word of advice : it takes several minutes for it to run through its diagnostic process before it allows shore power to the coach. I thought mine was defective( even calling the manufacturer) who asked me to review the codes and advise them, in an aside the tech then asked me if I had been allowing it to run through its cycle. No wonder they couldnt find anything wrong when I sent it back the first time.
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    I had a similar problem on a recent trip and it turned out to be the power at the pole. Both legs were showing voltage, but one would not supply any amperage. The lights were all working on the load box, the inverters showed line voltage, but with all the "stuff" on in the bus, the generator would start because it wasn't getting enough amps from the pole.

We swapped spots and the problem went away.

Also, our coach has an inverter bypass so you can go straight to shore power if needed.
    Wish that was the case for us. We moved to a new location yesterday and still have no power at the inverters.

I have been able to determine that the problem is in the bus. We are at a new location and there is no power to the inverters.

I have also spoken to Leon at Marathon and we have established that there are 2 possible items that cause this problem, one is the PS260 transfer switch and the other is the actual 60 second timer (square D timer).

I have had both of these items fedexed to me for delivery today. This morning I am heading over to ACE hardware to get a multimeter so that I can check the power at these 2 locations before I install them.

The timer is in the Auto Shore Disable box, or the Shore J High Voltage box. It appears that the "Aux Disable" function is effected by these items. When the T-50 Load Manager (Marathon feature) sees an overload the Aux breaker will trip and this will require a reset of the entire system. It appears that the PS260 board, 1"X 4"s has probably failed and possibly the timer.

I will report back this afternoon if I am successful in determining and solving the problem.

Bruce

Can anyone venture a guess as to the CAUSE of this problem?

When changing from generator power to shore power do you turn off ACs, washer/dryer, stove, etc. first? I think that we are supposed to. Could failing to do this damage a contactor in the auto switching equipment?

Just a thought.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Bruce the transfer switch is more than likely the problem. I would replace it first and see if you don't power up. It goes without saying that you need to unplug the coach and turn off the gen set before starting to work on your electrical system.

I have the super duty Tweety surge protector and was using it when I experienced the problem.

I did however forget to change the inverter load from 50 amps to 15 amps per leg, as I was using a 30 amp outside power source at the time.

Pam ran the dishwasher (had run it a few times while at this campground along with the washing machine being careful with all other loads) before going to bed, we had powered down and about an hour later the generator comes on, the load was too great for the T-50 load manager we think. If this is the case the T-50 Load manager shouts down the Aux Breaker and requires a reset to get it back up, but only after reducing the loads. I did both, no power. I do however believe I am getting power to and through my transfer switch. From the transfer switch the power goes to the PS260 board and Square D timer, with a 60 second delay before sending the power to the inverters for examination and distribution. Leon at Marathon says that he believes the failure ( he says this is a common failure point) is at this location. We will see once I get started sorting this out.

The rain is coming down in sheets here in Eastern maine, can't get Directv, barely getting my emails out, and the fog is thicker than soup.

One good bit of news, I put 140 gallons onboard yesterday at $4.09 over $2 less than the last fill, of course I am burning it up through my genset now, but having fun.