Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OK, back in the club again .... but need help!

Thanks for all of the complements everyone.

Harry, if you sent the email, I didn't seem to get it. A re-send would be appreciated, as I had a bit of a go-around with the BOE this morning.

SO, I think we may be changing plans slightly ...

Yes, we're still planning on getting the bus, assuming inspection comes through clean in 3 weeks!

As Kathy and I were kinda lying there last night, both too excited to sleep, we started discussing our options again, with respect to bus use of the next few months. It really is critical to get the sales tax exemption to keep the price tag in the region we could afford. But, as we thought about the current plan, we realized that it would be 9 months before we brought the coach home, and we wouldn't really be able to fly out to the east coast that much to make use of it (might as well spend the sales tax on airfare!)

So, I think we've tentatively decided to pick up the coach in October, hit a a water polo tournement for West Point (location still to be determined, between Philly and NY). After that we'd take a week or so heading home. Instead of bringing the bus into CA, we're going to arrange storage in AZ or NV, and visit the bus on weekends. In this way, we get to use the bus through the winter here in the southwest (which is really nice time out here), and we still get the sales tax exemption. Also we wont drive it out to NY for graduation next May (we already had airfare and hotel arranged and paid), but try instead to hit POG rally in the spring. Unfortunately we can do Spearfish because it conflcts with other pre-scheduled events. One week later would have been perfect, but thems the breaks ...

Thanks everyone for the advice as to where to store. That will come in very handy should we need to perhaps store for some period of time in the future.

We are REALLY getting excited about having a bus again!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post

I am trying to recoup the loss of sales tax when purchasing this unit. It turns out that if I used the coach out of CA for at least 91 days, then it isn't subject to CA use tax, which would save me about $25k.

Ray,

First of all, that looks like a very nice coach..................................
    The California State Board of Equilization makes the IRS look like wimps, their secret is to hire as many ESL (English Second Language) people as possible. I swear they must be paid on commission and, if that is true, they all make handsome salaries.

True, if a motor vehicle is 91 days or older when it FIRST enters the State of California, then it MAY be exempt from Use (Sales) Tax. For years the law read 91 days then a few years back it was changed to 1 year however somehow that law did not last and it is now back at 91 days. There are pages of verbage that go along with that 91 days that people tend to overlook. First and foremost, the State Board will do all in their power to allow you to indicate that the INTENT was to avoid payment of California Use Tax; if they have one iota of evidence then you get the tax bill and a huge penalty. Certainly it can be appealed but the results are generally fruitless unless you elect to go to court, and even then it may be very difficult, not to mention costly. Truth is, if you delay bringing the vehicle into California and show up at the DMV on the 92nd day, you are done. That will immediately trigger a not so pleasant response from the Board even though the DMV will be happy to take your money for the plates. What you have to be able to show, proof positive, that your intent was to purchase the vehicle for use outside of the State of California, you opened a new business, you were going to sell Fuller Brush, no matter. At the end of the day I would wait at least one year before even thinking about bringing the coach back into SoCal. I really do speak from experience! I had to buy property in Oregon to keep my fat out of the fire!
    So here's the deal. The Tax man knows exactly what most people are trying to do, avoid California Tax....I mean they probably do 15 or more of these per day. You will be thrown right into that same pot and even though, you may be as pure as rain, you are in for a ride. They will want statements of facts, invoices, fuel slips, repair bills, mileages, and most of all a very good reason why you kep't the coach out of the state.......if you are not prepared to do that, or do not have a game plan, then just pay the tax and avoid the hassle and penalties.
    There are other choices out there but they all have their drawbacks as well, ask Sid about the Montana LLC and California.
    My only suggestion, one that I have used and certainly does work, is to buy, rent or whatever a place in Arizona and then, get who ever you are buying the coach from to show it as a private transfer. Arizona has NO SALES tax on what is defined a casual sales between individuals. They do, however, have a hefty Use Tax when it comes from a dealer.

All the best....
    Last edited by flyu2there; 08-08-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Hey Ray & Kathy great looking coach!! I love the new front end they put on it makes it look like a 2008 at 25-30% of new cost. If I may ask do you know the cost of putting a new front end on a coach? I have a buddy here in Visalia with a 2001 Vantare and would like to do the same thing. Hope you have a great time with your new coach!!

dalej Guest

Ray, I'm sure you thought of this, but Havasu City, AZ has a bunch of RV spaces to hide a expensive bus like that. You could call JJ, last I knew he had two spots at a nice park, he might make you a deal.

We picked up our bus somewhere over the border heading to Las Vegas from Orange County, CA. maybe that would be a good place to hide out.

You just have to bring it to SD and show it off!!!!

Ray, we have never met, but I do know a few folks in this club. If it will help, I have a warehouse large enough for another bus either in Colorado or Ft. Lauderdale. You are welcome to use either for a few months. The price is our going rate of No Charge, however, don't try to negotiate a better price. This is our best rate. If this helps, call me direct at 954-646-4490.

Let's see if I can answer all of these in one!!

Toy Box, wow thank you for the great offer. I'll let you know. Current plan is to come back to AZ and use it, perhaps in Lake Havasu, but given what Tom said, I need to evaluate that.

John, here's the current plan, let me know what you think. I was planning on finding space an an RV resort in Lake Havasu area, and visiting it regularly on weekends as possible. As such I would show usage, park fees, grocery bills etc from AZ, but not necessarily a lot of traveling.

As I understand it, the BOE will send me a notice at 6 months to try and make me justify the no-tax payment. IF the coach is still out of the area at 6 months, using it as specified, what do you think, would that work? I'd also probably have at least a trip to POG rally in Oklahoma (or whereever).

IF that's not enough, I guess I could purchase a lot out where Warren has his lot in Lake Havasu RV resort. Would that be better. I would own a lot there, and my coach would be stored there (at least for 6 or more months).

It seems strange, even on the vehicles I've paid CA sales tax, I rarely used it in CA! My major trips, with the exception of two local trips were always out of state. I certainly stored it in state, but really, my driving and use was almost always out of state.

John, you mentioned intent. I will certainly read up a bit more on this, but isn't it perfectly valid to intend to use the coach outside of CA? And IF you do indeed use it outside of CA, then why isn't that sufficient, as long as I'm not storing it, simply waiting to transfer to CA. That specifically is mentioned as non-counting toward the 91 days.

There is also a second statue of the law, which is more confusing to me. And that is IF you bring the coach into the state within the 90 period, then you must prove it is outside of the state more than 1/2 of the next 6 months after it enters the state. It indicate use AND storage as valid in that case.

Sid, as for the new front end, I was told what the cost was, but I don't remember exactly. It was something between 20k and 30k to make it happen.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Davis; 08-08-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: I mean John, not Tom... sorrry ...

Ray & Kathy,

It's a beauty. Your willingness to jump in their in spite of the times should be an inspiration to all of us. Oklahoma or bust.

Lee Bornstein Guest

Ray:
    Congratulations... Did't think you'd be without a coach this long.

Hope to see you on the road somewhere.

Interested in buying my lot at ODR in Vegas?
    It would be a nice fit for your coach.

Lee

HI Lee,

Actually, I may be interested in leasing it from you? Or a purchase, if that would help my sales tax issue.

PM or email me your phone number, and I'll give you a call tomorrow if that's OK. I had looked, but I didn't have an email for you.

Thanks,
    Ray

Congratulations Ray.... great looking bus!