Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filling with fuel, problem?

The refining companies are well aware of the starting problems associated with diesels in cold weather, and they usually “winterize” their diesel fuel by mixing 15-20 percent No. 1 diesel with the conventional No. 2 diesel in cold climates. This improves the volatility of the fuel and reduces the cloud point to slightly lower temperatures. At this point, we should discuss the differences between the two grades of diesel fuel. Diesel No.1 and No.2 are the two common grades of diesel fuel. No. 2 diesel is by far the most widely used since it provides the most energy per gallon for improved power and mileage, and the highest lubricity for the fuel injection pump. Since it is a heavier distillate than No. 1 diesel, No.2 diesel is usually a few cents per gallon cheaper too. Some diesel engines are designed to operate specifically on No. 1 diesel, especially if the engine will be subjected to frequent starting and stopping, but No.1 diesel has several disadvantages. First, it provides less lubricity than No. 2 diesel, which can prove troublesome for some fuel injection pumps, and second, it contains roughly 95 percent of the heat energy of No. 2 diesel.

dalej Guest

# 2 is the fuel of choice (price). But if its winter and it's cold (below 10 degrees) you will need # 1 since it doesn't gell up. Once #2 gells you have big trouble. It you are going to be headed to very cold locations you have to start using # 1 ahead of time, at least get a half tank of it.

Dale

Lest anybody be concerned about their Prevost in cold weather we spent about 36 hours driving and stopping overnight when the lowest we saw was 26 below and the high for the time period was 21 below.

Gelling was not a problem, but we never turned it off so the warmer return fuel probably helped maintain warmer fuel temperatures. The bus heating system was excellent when parked with it on high idle (we never shut it off), but with the bus heat on its highest setting, the defroster fans going as fast as they could spin, the generator running so we could run the electric heaters up by the entry door we still froze our butts off when driving due to the cold air spilling down from the windshield that was being cooled by our 60 MPH wind chill.

If you ever experience sub zero temperatures just keep the bus running and I do not think fuel gelling will be an issue even if you have pure #2 in it.

Here's a short answer:

No 1 - Home heating fuel and good for engines in extreme cold

No 2 - The only thing we see in the south

Used to have a 2,000 gallon home oil tank in frozen upstate New York and it was amazing just HOW MUCH fuel the furnace could use, wink, wink.

Smile

As Jon so well said, it seems to be a new improved fueling system that causes the problem as our 93 never spits at me.

I wonder if you opened the fill cap on the driver side and filled from the passenger side if the air could vent faster and perhaps not spit-up. That was the drill for our SOB with dual fills.

So Lew, with all this fuel you've pumped, did you get green stamps?

I think Mike may be on to something.

Whoever has a dual side fill capability how about opening both sides and filling from one to see if his idea works. Just be sure to stand far to the side in case it pukes.

If nobody fuels up before I do (around 6/26) I will try it and report.

Having experienced fuel gelling, I would tell you that if I anticipate extended temperatures below freezing, I will put an anti-gelling agent (Power Service) in the fuel. When it gels or moisture gets carried up and freezes in the line, nothing short of putting the whole unit in a warm shop will get you back on the road.

When we were in Wyoming last week, the temp was 25 degrees and our AquaHot was more than adequate to keep the coach warm.

However, according to the laws of thermodynamics, the coach should be no colder standing still than it is running down the road so there must be some serious air leaks in there somewhere.

lewpopp Guest

Jon, I 'd love to see the live show when it happens to you. New words are invented and vented, I'm sure.

Mike....S & H Green Stamps. You bet I did. We were all sucked into giving them and if I had used my head as the largest dealer in south central NY, I should have told Sperry and Hutchison to stick them. Thousands and thousands of dollars over the years. Live and learn.

Jon,

I think you should get Lew to stand on the other side and report the findings. If he howls, you will know that the tank burped on the other side.

Maybe he should get one of those overflow bottles like they use in NASCAR and he can get some pit gear and a NOMEX hood, and some........ well you know what I mean.

Official POG wear at Flying J

MM