Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Filling with fuel, problem?

sticks Guest

Do the " fuel burpers" leave their engines running while fueling? I did that with my previous Travel Supreme with duel tanks and it burped every time. With my Liberty I turn the engine off as was stressed by Frank from Liberty and no burps ever.

I am not sure any H3 drivers have fuel puking issues. I do know XL coaches with dual side fills do have problems. The XL with single side fill has had no problems.

I think I have partially solved my puking fuel issue.

I have a truck stop near my house that has a big boy truck stop hose and nozzle on the RH side and a baby hose and nozzle on the LH side on one of the aisles. Since I have 298 gallons capacity I can almost always limit my fueling to that truck stop. I fill with both nozzles until I get close to being full, then I stop the big nozzle, and drop the flow rate on the baby nozzle and wait.

Eventually the bus gets full, but the baby nozzle does shut off without the puking.

As an alternative there is a Pilot convenient store also near my house that only has 3 truck bays for fueling. I have found on one of them I can use a big boy nozzle at the 1/3 open position when it is nearly full, and when it is full the nozzle clicks off. Then I count to three, and about a cup of fuel spits out, and most of that stays inside the fueling door area.

You may not even have a fuel spitting problem. But until you know for sure, stand way back, wear old shoes, and use gloves.

I have an ex pair of shoes that attest the H3's do puke with the best of them.

mm

sawdust_128 Guest

H3's sometimes become possessed at the pump. In order to exorcise the fuel deamons, I start at a slow fill rate. After about 30 seconds, I can begin to increase the fill rate, usually to full speed.

I also raise the coach on the side from which I am filling and don't open the opposing fill cap.

I know that this all sounds weird but it was a lot better than the guy in the Liberty XLII next to me who was out in front of his coach drawing pentangles on the ground, casting eye of newt, and sacrificing lambs all while beseeching the maker "Hello, can you hear me now?".

So far thats the one problem I have not had. I fill from both sides at the truck stops,nozzles wide open and thus far the nozzles shut off with no spillage. Have also used one nozzle onlywith the same results. Most of the time I leave my engine running, maybe it should be off. I have the 208 tank.

I fill to within 10 gal of what the pro-driver tells me I have used and then shut down pump to absolutely slowest setting. Get within 2 gal or so, I just barely trickle it in. Worst puke so far is about 1/4 cup or so. If been running the genset, just guestamate another 3/4 gal per hour run time in my required fill cyphering. Works great so far.

Jon, Our "H" puked using only one fill. It didn't matter which side you used. End result was "splash back" My preventtion of puking fuel, was to estimate how much we needed from the Pro Driver, then when we had filled to almost that amount from the pump reading, I would back off the nozzle flow to a trickle, listened for fuel entry tonal change and stopped fueling when the pitch of the entering fuel started to raise higher.
    The new coach, with its single fiill, gulps down all you can put in her as fast as you, and she doesn't belch.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 12-28-2009 at 08:30 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

40 foot, single side fill. Never a burp.

Two side fill without an upgrade that Jim Shoen installed in his bus and you have to step back and let it spit fuel.

Although new here, one of the first lessons we learned was to avoid filling our H3 on the driver's side; passenger side only and no spills, no burps since. Gloves are a good idea in any case.