Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filling with fuel, problem?

dalej Guest

Default Filling with fuel, problem?

Hey everyone, was wondering if any of you have the problem that I have. When I pull into a truck stop to fill I always worry about the fuel burping out the fill spout. I have always had to control the flow to 1/2 or so, so as not to have it come back and splash out all over, it can be messy in the wind.

Any advise or fixes on this issue?

Dale

Dale,
    We all probably have the same problem, the venting is just not big enough to handle the pressure and volume at the truckstops. Remember, the trucks don't have a dinky little 2" fuel spout, the saddle tanks have BIG openings, anywhere from 3 to 6 inches and vent while filling.

If it's quiet enough while fueling (a rare occasion) you can hear the rush of fuel as it gets full and then cut back the flow. I try to use the RV side at Flying J with the lower pressure pumps, just so I don't have to change shoes to get back in the bus. The big truck side is always bathed in fuel and oil and you can trash your carpet pretty quick. It takes a little longer to fuel, but we're not suppose to be in a hurry.

Baptism by #2 Diesel.

My first trip and first fill up w/ the family and brother. Standing right in front of the the fill pipe when at least a gallon of diesel came hurtling over me at top off. Had to strip naked right there in the fuel lane before my wife let me back into the Mothership. Now I never know my exact fuel mileage as I'll never take a chance at topping off.

Welcome to the club.

MM

dalej Guest

I have a 75 gal aux. tank so didn't know if it was the culprit. I was thinking of taking it out and putting in a Joey bed clone if it was that cause.

DJ,

Some of the previous respondents do not have the aux tank so that can't be blamed.

I think it is related to the change Prevost made to allow filling from both sides. I had an aux tank on my 87 coach and it filled only from the co-pilot side. I could run that nozzle full tilt and it would shut off with nary a drop splashed. Then, if fuel was especially cheap I would stand right there and try to cram in every last drop. Again, not a drop spilled.

On my current coach with aux tank and two side fill my first experience was like Mango's. I ended up throwing away some prefectly good shoes and pants.

I no longer fill from the driver side. I never stand within spitting distance of the fill spout, and I never try to top it off no matter how slow I squeeze the handle because for sure it will puke fuel. This fuel filling thing is apparently some Prevost engineer's way of taking a perfectly good filling system and screwing it up so the salesmen can call it an improvement.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Any bus or truck that I have ever filled that has dual fillers has barfed various amounts of liquid gold on the ground, in varying amounts. A guy could make up a whole bunch of reasons why, and some may or may not be true.

Tom, as usual, is dead-non right that the best fix is to use the civilian diesel pump and avoid the dreaded barf all together.

For the drama queens, you can fill both sides at once and try that. Probably would result in two pools of diesel instead of one.

Finding a 'quiet space' at a Flying J is something I have yet to achieve in life.

lewpopp Guest

Well here goes. I have pumped more gallons of fuel than you guys have been minutes alive. Even more. I do not have the solution, although I have not spilled a bit of fuel at the truck side of Flying J. Must I tell you to stuff the nozzle all of the way in the hole and set it at the slowest flow. It will shut off every time unless you are at a malfunctioning nozzle. At the very end of the nozzle there is the shut off sensor. Jeeze.... If you want to be sure it'll work right, SUCK on it befor you put it in the filler tube. FJ warns you that it will deliver some ungodly amount of fuel per minute at a full fast hook. Does Jon or Jerry have to tell you everything?

I would have really liked to have seen Mango's bride rip him a new hole and make him strip on the pad. It would have been a site to see.

Sorry, I like live entertainment. Especially from old grey bearded dancers.

I like live entertainment too, so hey Lew....I'd like to pay you a steak dinner for you and Kathy if you will fill my bus. BTW, you need to stand next to the nozzles, the side of your choice, and let me know how it feels to have a gallon or so of Flying J's finest in your shorts.

I did the lowest setting when I took my bath, and it still puked.

Your one side fill is different than the two side fill coaches. That is why I got the surprise bath. I was used to my old coach and on this one, without warning fuel shot all over the place....and then the damn nozzle shut off.

Default Back in Houston

Count me among the "non-pukers". Although the trucks were three deep this morning at the Love's in Amarillo, I fueled up (we only have one tank and it fills on pass side) with nary a drop spilled. Like Lew, I cram the nozzle down as far as possible and like Jon, if the fuel is cheap I squeeze as much in as possible.

But I hate the RV side of Flying J just because of the small nozzle. Seems like I am there for a Lew night before I get filled up. And some clone from the movie "RV" always pulls up beside me and blocks the only way out or some other inane thing happens, so unless I am dumping the tanks, I stay away.

Ben Guest

I also have a 40'er with a single fill and use the truck side and let it fill to the top without a drop spilled.

Q? What the difference between diesel #1 and #2?