Thread: Water Pump Won't Turn Off ??

Default Water Pump Won't Turn Off ??

Sorry to be a bother, but I seem to be having my share of small nagging issues.

Before I left out of Lunenburg Ns. (full hookup sites) for my Dry camping experience I did the following. I dumped both Black and Grey water, flushed both tanks out, and topped off the fresh water tanks etc.

I have 2 12volt pumps, and when I was done one of them #2 was running with no water source on. I can shut it off , but when I turn it back on it starts running again, what's up with this, the pump is new and has been working just fine.

can an air lock in the fresh water tank, accumulator tank, hot water tanks lines etc. can't figure this out, should I just kick the pump with my 8 Lb hammer?

Bruce,

Try cutting on the pump and opening each of the faucets and letting them run for a couple of seconds. Be sure to open both the cold and hot sides and the shower to let any air out of the system.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Loc View Post
    Bruce,

Try cutting on the pump and opening each of the faucets and letting them run for a couple of seconds. Be sure to open both the cold and hot sides and the shower to let any air out of the system.

Loc
    Thanks Loc,

I will check this, but think we may have already made the rounds on this one, including the outside sewer bay faucets. This is what I had thought the problem was the first time and maybe I need to do it again more carefully.

That's a question to Marathon owners who have the same plumbing set up. I have seen some water systems that I have been unable to figure out so converter specific experts need to chime in to help Bruce.

Bruce,

I had that problem with the Royale and it was the pump. I replaced it and it pressured up and stopped. I think it was leaking internally, but that is a diaphram pump and I believe you have a different style pump in the Marathon.

Mike's does this, but it is because his chicks use up all the water and the pump just runs dry until it quits.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    Bruce,

I had that problem with the Royale and it was the pump. I replaced it and it pressured up and stopped. I think it was leaking internally, but that is a diaphram pump and I believe you have a different style pump in the Marathon.

Mike's does this, but it is because his chicks use up all the water and the pump just runs dry until it quits.......
    Since I do not have an extra pump I will try and take it apart and see if the diaphragm is stuck or something. Its a new pump, the old one works great, don't know it, the new one is made in some far away land. I am not even sure you can take it apart, but the unit looks a lot like a regular marine 12 volt water pump. I'll check West marine to see if they have the exact unit.

Fixed the pump.

Here is what we think happened. before we headed out for dry camping, Pam did several loads of wash. We did not have the city water on auto fill and when Pam was taking her shower before we left Lunenburg that morning the shower started to sputter with air. I ran out and hit the auto fill and all was good. We did not notice the problem other than the pump would not stop running, a very low noise, not the big pumping sound when there is a real request for volume.

I just now fixed it by turning off Pump #1, turning on Pump #2 and doing the faucets cold and hot, the shower was the problem, and the air lock is gone and all is well. Pump #2 was the problem child.

Thanks again.

Bruce,

You are working your way through an understanding of your entire coach. It is getting time for you to start putting on seminars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Bruce,

You are working your way through an understanding of your entire coach. It is getting time for you to start putting on seminars.
    I think we should wait for a while before we allow me to fly solo on any seminar that includes anything more complicated than adjusting the rear view mirrors, and this took me a while to get them correctly adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    Since I do not have an extra pump I will try and take it apart and see if the diaphragm is stuck or something. Its a new pump, the old one works great, don't know it, the new one is made in some far away land. I am not even sure you can take it apart, but the unit looks a lot like a regular marine 12 volt water pump. I'll check West marine to see if they have the exact unit.
    Bruce,

West Marine does have a re-build kit for a 12V marine water pump. I re-built my back-up 12v water pump last year. It sells for about $17 and has everything you will need. It's nice to have a backup water pump isn't it! Glad you got it fixed.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot