Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coach Purchase Scam

Ray,

In this case the buyer looked at my feedback, 100%, and this was really the determining factor. However, there was apprehension on both sides. I had never sold a car overseas and he had never purchased a $30,000 plus car sight unseen. After a few personal conversations we became more comfortable with each other and decided to proceed. I set up a new account for wire transfers only. The buyer wired the money to the shipping company, which I checked out. Upon inspection of the car and the title by the shipping company the money was transferred to my account within the hour. At this point I released the car with a clear title and the deal was done. Six weeks later the buyer called me and thanked me for selling him the car. It as better that he expected.

However, caution is still very appropriate. Even when buying and selling domestically there is always the escrow option. Ebay provides this service and I have had people back out of a deal or not respond when I suggested escrow because I didn't feel comfortable with the deal.

Be careful

John
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Paul,

Wow, what a story. I think I'd be picking up my shotgun about that time. Jeesh.

Jonnie, thanks for the info. Don't you just love it on Ebay. Purchase something for $30,000 and get one point of feedback credit!

ray

Thumbs up Cruiser, P.T.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
    I think it was W.C Fields who said, " There is a sucker born every minute". These scams are just another example of not being careful. I justs sold a corvette to a fellow in Sweden and I had the money wire transfered and in my account before the car left my possession.
    P.T. Barnum.

The internet has become a way of life in the world of commerce. We enjoy some 8 to 10 deals a month over the net. The key is to be very careful and once you have the procedure down, don't deviate. We try our best to overcome the objections of those doubting Toms, but sometimes it is impossible. We don't release titles or autos till paid in full! We just got a wire transfer Monday from Alberta, Canada for 32,500 for an 03 M5. There is daily contact via phone and fax. It is necessary to offer ongoing exchange of info to keep everyone confident that they are dealing with a reputable business, and we in turn are dealing with a credible buyer. The M5 is still at my place under lock and key awaiting his carrier.

We also recommend the customer have a franchised dealer perform an inspection of the vehicle as an independent third party and at the buyers expense. The franchised dealer contact is made by the buyer (not us). We will provide them phone numbers to 2 or 3 in our area and they make the arrangements. We accomodate their needs by delivering the vehicle to the franchised dealer for the inspection at our expense. We also provide Carfax, Autocheck, and previous maintenance records when available.

Also, like Jonnie we have an account used exclusively for wire transfers. So far, so good.

We also get the Nigerians wanting to send us money. We say "send it on, we needs it", no takers yet.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost