Thread: Coach Purchase Scam

Hybrid View

Jonnie,

Just curious, in the scenario you describe, i.e. wiring prior to selling the car, what kind of security did the purchaser want? It seems a scary road in either direction, i.e. you could have been scamming a sale?

I've bought a couple of big ticket items on Ebay, but generally it's end up going through a brick and mortar business (car dealership), which I then trusted, but I'll admit to being scared sending off a chunk of money to get a car I've never seen, and I hoped would arrive as promised.

Ray

I hear ya, Ray. I once saw a Viper that someone bought sight unseen that was described as "minor front end damage" and was sold for 25K.

It was about 4 feet long and delivered on a flat bed trailer.

The unwitting buyer got suckered into a quick purchase as he was pressured by the seller saying that he had other offers and that the first guy to come up with the cash would get the "great deal".

The buyer owned a construction company and has a friend that owns a body shop, so they felt that most any damage could be repaired.

Well, they were wrong. They were last using the Viper to cart around on a flat bed to car shows as a means of informing the public as to the hazards of buying sight unseen over the internet. Although he talked about pursuing legal action, he was at least in a financial position to absorb the loss and consider it a lesson learned.

At least they were honest about the color......red

Ray,

In this case the buyer looked at my feedback, 100%, and this was really the determining factor. However, there was apprehension on both sides. I had never sold a car overseas and he had never purchased a $30,000 plus car sight unseen. After a few personal conversations we became more comfortable with each other and decided to proceed. I set up a new account for wire transfers only. The buyer wired the money to the shipping company, which I checked out. Upon inspection of the car and the title by the shipping company the money was transferred to my account within the hour. At this point I released the car with a clear title and the deal was done. Six weeks later the buyer called me and thanked me for selling him the car. It as better that he expected.

However, caution is still very appropriate. Even when buying and selling domestically there is always the escrow option. Ebay provides this service and I have had people back out of a deal or not respond when I suggested escrow because I didn't feel comfortable with the deal.

Be careful

John
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Paul,

Wow, what a story. I think I'd be picking up my shotgun about that time. Jeesh.

Jonnie, thanks for the info. Don't you just love it on Ebay. Purchase something for $30,000 and get one point of feedback credit!

ray