Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Generator Charge Bus Batteries??

Default Yes, you can do it with solar, but...

Bruce, I've been living very comfortably with my 1100 watts of solar and haven't needed to run my generator (other than to exercise it) since January. However, 14 solar panels (8x100 + 6x50) are hard to justify if you're not fulltiming. Also, dedicating that much roof space to solar may require the use of basement air. My 24 volt 3-stage solar charge controller usually has my 8 8D glassmats in float mode by 10am and has my starting batteries up as well. I don't have my big 24 cu ft Jenn Air fridge running on 24v. yet, but spreadsheet calculations show I should not be forced to run the generator below 90 F. Summertime highs are usually around 80 F here in Flagstaff. With no sun, my generator charges all batteries through the inverter/charger.

In full sun, I've seen 40 amps @ 24v coming down. That won't handle your 220v cooktop or A/C and you must minimize your phantom loads, but you can nuke lunch and supper and run the computer or TV all evening.

My $.02 worth.

Ron,

That is incredible! Good to hear from you again. Maybe a seminar on solar at an upcoming POG rally? That would be great info.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ronwalker View Post
    Bruce, I've been living very comfortably with my 1100 watts of solar and haven't needed to run my generator (other than to exercise it) since January. However, 14 solar panels (8x100 + 6x50) are hard to justify if you're not fulltiming. Also, dedicating that much roof space to solar may require the use of basement air. My 24 volt 3-stage solar charge controller usually has my 8 8D glassmats in float mode by 10am and has my starting batteries up as well. I don't have my big 24 cu ft Jenn Air fridge running on 24v. yet, but spreadsheet calculations show I should not be forced to run the generator below 90 F. Summertime highs are usually around 80 F here in Flagstaff. With no sun, my generator charges all batteries through the inverter/charger.

In full sun, I've seen 40 amps @ 24v coming down. That won't handle your 220v cooktop or A/C and you must minimize your phantom loads, but you can nuke lunch and supper and run the computer or TV all evening.

My $.02 worth.
    Thanks Ron for the excellent comments.

We have some unusual features to our bus that we feel might lend its self well to to a large solar conversion. first we have an 8'X12' observatory on the roof now, with a raised metal deck, stairway inside etc., all of our air is in the bays and we have both a 2 burner electric cooktop and a 2 burner gas cooktop. We also have a new 3 door refrigerator that uses about a KW per day of energy so says the literature.

Anyway we would love to give this a go when we return to Florida, it would make for a great project and it would make dry camping a better experience, we really like those silent nights, and quiet days. We would love to have 1500 watts if possible and be able to charge both the house and the chassis batteries.

Could you share with us the name and source of your solar panels and controller. This would help a lot.

You mentioned that you have 8 house batteries, I think we have 6, but I will check, did you add 2 or were they already in place. How did you connect to the inverters and can you monitor and control the solar panels, levels of output and are you able to move the panels for maximum exposure to the sun?

Ray, I could talk a bit about solar at a future western rally, but the value to most POG members won't justify the cost. Reducing generator run time a little will never save enough to pay for the panels. You've gotta be obsessed with quiet living to warrant spending the money and you really need a coach that isn't all electric. I'm now working to silence the jet roar of my AquaHot by tying in my solar water heating panels, but that's another story.

Bruce, If you can stay under the max height limit, a thin raiseable (and tiltable) 8'x12' deck roof of solar panels would be worth some engineering effort. Yes, my panels tilt to double the output in the winter months.

My solar panels are the BP 44 cell AM100's, http://www.amsolar.com/am100.html. They DO outperform other panels when used with this controller at 24 volts: http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/sb3048.htm. I use a Xantrex echo~charge, http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/103/p/1/pt/8/product.asp, to keep my starting batteries charged. All are available from John Palmer of (shameless commercial plug) Palmer Energy Systems (http://jolynenterprises.com/) who will install everything for you or let you stay at his place in Lake City, FL to install all of it yourself and teach you how to dry camp at the same time.

Remember, my coach was an empty stainless steel and fiberglass tent with empty bays shortly before I wired up a 24 volt house battery bank using 8 8D Lifelines. I tied my single 4000 watt inverter directly to that battery bank. I use my charge controller remote panel and my old Link 2000 "e" meter (http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/99/p/1/pt/7/product.asp) to monitor the system. The solar charge controller automatically controls the solar panels and their levels of output (a 3-stage charge).

I was especially pleased that this solar system was able to provide the power to keep my DD Series 60 running smoothly to Tacoma, WA when I had a complete alternator failure in Canada. Solar powered bus, eh?

'Sorry 'bout the long post, but I hope this helps.

Thank you very much Ron.

I especially like the notion that you could back up your Series 60 Alt with solar in a pinch, really cool stuff.

I would also want to find a way to have solar hot water as well.

Its interesting that your friend John Palmer lives in Lake City Fl. That is not too far from Jupiter. I will contact him and make arrangements for a meeting, great info and it would be really fun to sit on the beach somewhere by ourselves with complete independence from power sources.

Any other gadgets or ideas that might make the silent experience more enjoyable?

There was a guy at the FMCA rally with a small wind turbine, like the ones you see on some sail boats, that was attached to what looked like a small, triangular radio tower.

At the base of the tower, which appeared sectional, he had a plug in connection. Looked like the whole thing could be un-plugged, disassembled and stored.

We had plenty of wind during the rally, and I never heard his generator run, although I wasn't paying close attention to it.

The whole thing attached to a bracket rigged to his receiver hitch in place of his tow bar.
    Last edited by phorner; 08-07-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added information

Wind power is handy in that when the sun doesn't shine, it's usually windy.

Peter Byrne of http://www.setantasolar.com/index.php can tell you all you'll ever want to know about solar water heating. He sells the systems and lives the lifestyle. He's waiting for data on my motorhome application.

Using that beautiful little trout stream that runs beside your rig to generate some hydro power will complete the triad of solar, wind and hydro.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but our DD engines will run without alternator power, if you have enough battery juice to start?

I lost my alternator in Salt Lake City (first coach), when my A/C compressor froze (right after an A/C service at Prevost). I couldn't put on a replacement belt because the compressor was frozen solid, and I didn't have short belts which would only run the alternator.

But, I successfully drove from SLC, stopped a night in Vegas, and drove into Prevost Mira Loma without issue, or alternator.

Granted, my batteries were not getting any stronger as I went, and I did this within a period of 24 hours. But, I did successfully drive 600+ miles without alternator.

Ray

Ray is correct. The engine does require electric power, but if the batteries are in good shape, if you conserve the remaining battery power by limiting or not using power robbing devices such as lights, heating and AC systems, mirror heaters, etc. you can travel a considerable distance.

If you have an on-board chassis battery charger you can start the generator and keep your chassis batteries charged.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwalker View Post
    Wind power is handy in that when the sun doesn't shine, it's usually windy.

Peter Byrne of http://www.setantasolar.com/index.php can tell you all you'll ever want to know about solar water heating. He sells the systems and lives the lifestyle. He's waiting for data on my motorhome application.

Using that beautiful little trout stream that runs beside your rig to generate some hydro power will complete the triad of solar, wind and hydro.
    Ray, what was determined to be the problem with your alt., had Prevost screwed up and if so what was the cause, I am curious as I had my AC serviced and am seeing some odd battery lights after several days sitting, but have thought it was my chassis batteries not being charged. I now see that the light says 270 alt on it. This has happened twice now and only after my service in Quebec which included a new OTR compressor and a recharge of the system, any clues.