Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Generator Charge Bus Batteries??

Default Does Generator Charge Bus Batteries??

I am dry camping and have the 12/24 volt bus battery switches off. Prevost said to do this and it will not effect the Computer when turned off. I have no bus battery charger ( have ordered one that Mango recommended, arriving state side) and do not want to run the bus batteries down.

I start the genset twice a day, in the morning for a few hours and in the evening for a few hours, maybe a total of 4 hours. I leave the genset on auto start as well.

Question: When I am running the genset does it or would it charge the bus batteries at the same time if I had them turned on, or does it charge them anyway. I am thinking it does not, as it would create a problem when the bus engine is on running down the highway with the genset creating an overload unless it is smart enough to cut the circuit off during these times?

My 2001 Marathon that JDUB now owns did not charge the chasis batteries with the generator,it had a switch which would connect the house and chasis batteries for starting the Detroit Diesel if the chasis batteries were not charged.That switch had to be held down to connect all batteries and it was current limited.

My generator does not charge the chassis batteries, hence the need for the aux battery charger, which Truk and I installed and it has worked like a charm.

Once you have yours installed, that will be your ticket to charging the chassis batteries while running the generator.

Just something for you to think about, the charge rate setting on your inverter/charger(s) will impact the time required for your generator to run to fully charge your batteries. Of course, the beginning state of charge will also matter.

Good afternoon,

Unless or until you install the battery charger, your generator will not charge your chassis batteries. Also, I am not sure, but I do not think that two hours twice a day generator use will ever get your coach batteries up to full charge state.

Once you get the charger installed, the chassis batteries will receive charge whenever you are plugged in or generator is running. I have that system installed, and it works great.

Generator does not charge the chassis batteries. While at Osh drying camping for 5 days, it took mine 3 hours of generator time to bring the house batteries back up to float from a discharge of 12.2.

Country Coach Owners... I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered my auto-start was hard set to start at 12.1 volts. Someone must have done some work on the board, as the manual says it comes on at 10.8 which is ridiculous and would destroy the batteries. I only used it a few times since I was trying to be a good neighbor and not let the gen start at night while everyone was sleeping with the windows open.

Mango on the other hand, let the stink mobile fog every living thing within 200 yds of ground zero. Never dry camp with him, his gen needs serious servicing and smokes like a chimney burning empty jerk chicken boxes.

Default Lol

Poor Bruce needs to know about the jump switch, in case he has to make a quick run from the Mounties , runnin all that stolen canuk fuel!

Thumbs up Burning empty jerk chicken boxes?

Tom, why don't you tell EVERYONE how you really feel about the state of Mango's gen? Great description!

Darl

I am still concerned about why some bus chassis batteries drop voltage so fast, with or without the master switches "off".

My bus last moved in mid June. Once parked I haven't run it. Last week the batteries were at 24.8 volts (12.4) so I kicked on the charger to top them off. My master switches were on the entire time. My 87 was the same way in that I never turned the chassis master switches off and I would still be able to start the bus after 2 or three months.

Truk, does CC have some phantom loads on the chassis batteries?

I'll start a new thread about the Mango's smoking generator.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Thanks guys, I thought as much and when I get my charger installed all will be well.

I do not understand like Jon what is running these batteries down so fast when the bus is parked?

Also I mentioned that I run the genset twice a day, from 8-10, and from 6-9, or about 5 hours, I was wrong when I said 2 hours twice day. I am not running much power in the coach and no air, the heat is on in the AM when the genset is on, same at night when cooking etc. I do not get the batteries to the float position, and the auto gen mode does not come on at night.

How important is it to get to the float position each time??