Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing hard water spots from side windows

Tully,

Keep us posted as to your results ....

Ray

I believe the I started this when I mentioned that I had a window washer clean my bus windows with a product called Bio Clean. It worked on my bus but I think the stuff was a liquid abrasive that needed a lot of circular elbow action.

The floridic acid stuff sounds like the way to go. Old elbows can only go around so fast and so long.

GregM

Default Metal Wax

I ordered this stuff after talking to Kevin.

But I had to prep the bus to keep it off of everthing else. I wiped a little on my aluminum trailer and quicker than the Krakman jumps sheep, it was cleaned.

iPhone 024.jpg

iPhone 030.jpg

I used the little square carpet scrubbers they sent and sure enough, it eats all the hard water spots and associated gunk off. But you are not supposed to leave it on for more than a minute and as you can see, I didn't risk getting any on the paint or stainless.

If I had an "H", I would just use a garden sprayer and coat the whole bus cuz I don't think this stuff would make one look any worse.....

I used Hot Stuff from boatbling.com It worked fairly well, but Brian tried it and no go. Now my wife tells me the spots are still there. I'll try glass wax next. to be continued.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Cleaning off water spots?? Right, sure you are. Looks like a little MORE body work going on there to me. But hey, those ole water spots look bad while tailgating so glad they came off.

OK, but did you find out if you have to seal the glass after the treatment.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary,

I don't know the answer to that. I did clean them after I rinsed the goop off, so they are incredibly clear and clean, but I never considered "sealing" them.

Default Jakel Products

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    OK, but did you find out if you have to seal the glass after the treatment.

Yes Gary De, and JDUB you should use their other product called Topwax. It does a fantastic job on all glass, after the Metal Cleaner has been properly used, and it very easy to apply and remove. It really works great on the entire bus that has a painted surface.

There is another product recommended for the shiny SS, Spray On Metal Shine. but is more difficult to apply and remove, MUCH more elbow grease to use this product, but I think worth it.

Jer, in my opinion, did not need to cover the stainless when he was cleaning his windows with the Metal Cleaner, because the metal cleaner is what is used to clean the SS anyway. But when I did my bus, I cleaned it from top to bottom and maybe he didn't want to redo the ss cleaning after the windows?

Bottom line, the TopWax product needes to be applied after the windows are cleaned to keep them at their best, and keep them from water spotting again.

Call Austin @ (408) 848-1497 and talk to him about his products, I think they work great. But again I am a newbie at this.

http://metalwax.com/index.htm

Ger,

The active ingredient that makes this stuff work is some kind of acid. I dropped some of it on my aluminum XDeck and it ate the finish right off of it.

I rubbed it on my car trailer and it had the same effect. Now I know aluminum is not stainless steel, but they use this stuff diluted 30:1 to clean mildew off of paint. I was using it straight out of the bottle.

It may not hurt the paint and it may not hurt the stainless, but until I have a little more experience with it, 10 minutes and a $2 drop cloth vs my experience with the cost of paint is an easy trade-off.

Nice bus condom.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston