Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Shoot !

dalej Guest

Last year we had that kind of feeling. We left Laramie, Wy. heading toward Snowy Range. I seen on the GPS there was a road that could be more scenic, Wrong! Started out good paved road for 10 miles then turned to a rock road for 5 miles and then to a dirt road and then just grass, we were out in the middle of a range land. We turned around and went the 20 miles back to Laramie and spent the night.

I was glad we were on the bike. Jan thought she should take a photo, just to document it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default " Think of it as an experience."

Jim / Chris, glad someone else has owned up to doing SILLY things like that too. 2 miles, that is quite a long reverse trek. Thanks now I don't feel so bad. I only had to back up about 3/4 mile

And all Peggy would say is " Think of it as an experience." Now you know you can do it if you have too."

Dale J. how far did you have to back up your bike before you could turn around?

Gary S.

Back in the summer of 1982, when I was with the Memphis Blues Brass Band, I used to love to drive the semi-tractor trailer that carried our equipment just for fun. Of course the truck driver didn't mind because whenever I drove, he got a paid break! One day, we were doing a stadium show at University of Indiana in Bloomington, IN. We had just come off an overnight drive and so I thought I'd be a sport and offer to drive the semi to the stadium for the scheduled set-up and rehearsal. I followed the buses toward the stadium and at some point, we came upon an underpass on the one-way street we were travelling with a posted clearance of 12'6". The buses slowed down and carefully drove through. The regular truck driver was riding on the crew bus and radioed back for me to come on through, it should be no problem. I was dubious, but figured that the pro knew better than I - so I slowed to a crawl and started under. Well, you can guess what came next! I was golden for the first part of the passage - then SCREEEEECH! and I ground to a halt as the trailer became hopelessly stuck as the road rose slightly on the far side of the bridge. Luckily, I did not attempt to "muscle" through after the initial stop. After radioing forward and vowing revenge on the truck driver for my humiliation, I had to back the truck four city blocks before I found a side road big enough to allow me to turn off and find an alternate route to the stadium (did I mention we were on a one-way street?). Better luck prevailed as I happened on a fire station as soon as I got turned off the one-way, where I stopped to get safe directions to the stadium.

Later inspections revealed no damage to the trailer or the bridge (except for some ugly black scrapes along the top edge trim of the trailer and matching scrapes under the bridge).

The only real casualty was my pride, as I never really lived down the embarrassment of being introduced as "the guy who stuck the truck under the bridge once" on more than a few occassions.

As for revenge on the guy who told me I was good to clear the underpass - several months later, he was caught having inappropriate contact with an underage girl in one of the buses during a show and was convicted of indecency with a minor. Karma can be a bitch!

lewpopp Guest

The only thing I would admit to and Roger would also but have been sworn to secrecy was when we were witnesses to Jon blocking a 4 lane highway. The story can get bigger and more embelished if you want it to, Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    The only thing I would admit to and Roger would also but have been sworn to secrecy was when we were witnesses to Jon blocking a 4 lane highway. The story can get bigger and more embelished if you want it to, Jon.
    Jon, talks about this alot but always says, " But there are no pictures, to PROVE I ever did it?"

Lew, I hope you got some pictures ! ? Tell us you got some pictures !

Gary S.

Default A1 Rock and Roll Bus Parking

No pictures, but I have eye witnesses.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

I heard this one today from a new prevost owner and found it amusing. Do you know the difference between a Prevost and a Porcupine?..............A Porcupine has its "PRICKS" on the outside.

Was he a Prevost Proud?

JON.......... No Prouds. He had just taken delivery of his first motorhome, 45ft Prevost when one of his buddy's called him on the cell with the Prevost-Porcupine joke.

Well that should concern us. If his friend says that about him the next question is if he is a POG member?