Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Generator Output - Update

lewpopp Guest

Jer, When I start the W up it starts the blower but does not fire. I thought I would hear some ignition if it was trying to fire, but nothing. It just runs and runs. I have opened the unit and wiped some fuel out from where I could see and tried it again to no avail. I'd hate to purchase a new control box until I find out absolutely it was the cause. I just don't like to carry around $400 parts unless I have to. I'm hauling way too much already according to your siamese twin Jon.All kidding aside, I could not survive without some of the advise. I'll emphasize SOME. Will the cover come off of the control box or is it sealed at the factory?

I think you need to go back to Mike's post about the control box and checking the voltage. Also, there is a good troubleshooting guide in the AquaHot information that should also guide you to determine if the problem is the control box or some other malady.

If you know someone else with a Webasto / AquaHot, you might just "borrow" the control box and plug it in to your unit. If it fires up, then you know what the problem is. If not, then it points to the coil or ignitor set up.

I would try these things before I broke out the LewBucks.

You might also check the fuel supply. Mine did the same thing as yours and I found out the filter was restricted and the pump in the unit wasn't getting any fuel. When I fixed that, it fired right up. In the start sequence, listen for the ignitors firing. Mine would spin up, the ignitors would fire and it would shut down evidently because the photo cell didn't detect any fire at the requisite time and it aborted the start sequence. You might also check the fuel lines from the filter to the pump inlet (bottom of the Webasto head) to see that there are no holes in the line that would let it suck air.

At POG I, Lester and I got these fuel lines reversed and we had a problem getting it to start.

lewpopp Guest

I got a call from Eggiman today and the nozzles are on the way. As soon as I get them and install one, I'll bother you guys some more.

As for finding someone with a Webasto and borrowing the controlbox, there isn't a Prevost within 90 miles of Elmira. If I see one pass on the main highway, I flag him down.

I read in the paper this morn that there was a massavie landslide in Yellowstone on Rt 140 between Mariposa and El Portal. Did you go that way?

Let me know what happens with the nozzles. I can pull the controller out of my unit and mail it to you since I don't anticipate needing it for a few weeks. You can try it and if it works, then you can just order me a new one.

Just kidding. I will need it back before the 4th.

No, I went into Yellowstone from Grand Teton and went out via West Yellowstone, Montana. I just had to deal with the snow.

Lew,

You may have a different unit then JW. He has the aquahot, with the Webasto head, but I'mnot sure if it uses the same controller box. If you have Webasto model DBW2020 then I can send you a control unit to try. Have you determined if there's power going into the conrol box?

Mike

lewpopp Guest

No, I have not determined if I have power to the control box. According to my manual I have model 2010.

Jer, thanks for the offer of the use of your control box. I don't know if there is a difference in the two boxes. I should find out. I doubt if I can find out from the manual cuz I have no way of telling what the difference is. I'm going to call Eggiman tomorrow. I just hope I have the correct manual. I imagine the early models of the nozzle are the same.

Thanks for sticking with me but I doubt I'm smart enough with my tester to tell if I have power to the box. The tester I have is one I got from Radio Shack and I told them I needed one that was for dummies. The salesman said this is the one you can't make a mistake with. I use it and the numbers keep jumping and jumping all over the place and I know not what to read. I'll try again tomorrow. Is it 12v? That would be a start so I can set the tester there.

lewpopp Guest

BTW, I cleaned the sight window off with alcohol and it is now white. Is that the correct finish. I'm trying, really I am. I have trouble learning if I get it first hand let alone over the internet.

I have been cleaning out the Cruise Air areas uder the front. I had a power steering leak a couple years ago and it is snotty. I want to hose out the evaporators on the airs. Is that okay if I'm careful not to bend the fins. I used to have a couple combs to straighten out the fins left over from the Ice Co. but can't find them in my Ace Hardware.

I'll ask Eggiman if the control boxes are the same for a 2010 and a 2020.

Lew,

On my unit the power is 12v. Let me know what Eggiman says of 2010 vs 2020 and if the contol unit is the same.

Mike

Lew,

How about you get the PN off of your box and I will orbit by the airport (I can't help it if that's where I keep the coach) and check the numbers to see if they correspond. Physically, I think they are all alike. I just don't know if they function the same.

Lew, for what its worth. The last time I worked on repairing a Webasto (other than cleaning and changing nozzle) I had a dead box, pump's running, but no fire. Turned out to be a 12V automotive style (little black box, about 2" square with terminals on the bottom) relay located in the engine compartment, that provided the power (12V DC) to the unit. Changed out the relay and "smoke". Look around or follow the wiring to see if there's a relay in your future.

the AC lens you spoke of should be glass. I'm surprised that alcohol would damage that.

Good luck. BTW, we were at your winter home last week. Place is real quiet!