Thread: Shop Air Compressor

Default Shop Air Compressor

I am looking for a new compressor for the shop and have never needed the additional psi capacity that I now need for the bus. I would appreciate a little input from the group as to what to look for and what to avoid in a new compressor.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by aggies09 View Post
    I am looking for a new compressor for the shop and have never needed the additional psi capacity that I now need for the bus. I would appreciate a little input from the group as to what to look for and what to avoid in a new compressor.
    First I got Lowes private label brand, Kobalt. Can't remember who made it for them, but I think it was Coleman (don't quote me on that as I'm not sure). It broke within 30 days, so I returned it to the store. They did not have replacement, and they told me the company that made it for them went bankrupt. Not sure if that's true or not, but that's what they told me. Lowe's gave me my money back.

So, across the street to Home Depot I go to buy their Husky brand. It's 175 PSI, 80 gallon tank, two stage. Has worked nicely so far. Very top heavy, so transport and unload and move very carefully to get it to its final location in your garage. Has side drain and bottom drain to get the pesky water out of tank. I drain them both.

Also looked at Northern Tool, and they had Ingersoll Rand (which were nearly twice as expensive) and I think private label called Northern Star. Ingersoll Rand was about $1000 more and Northern Star about $600 - $700 more, so I went with Husky private label from Home Depot.

My response is not specifically answering your request on what you should look for, but tells what I got, and that Husky is meeting my needs. I don't have thoughts on what to avoid.

eric faires
    huntsville, TN

wrongagain Guest

Default Compressor size

Do you own 1" Drive Air powered Impact wrench? If you want to remove wheels and use air jacks to raise the bus- I would suggest as a minimum getting the compressor that will meet the requirements of the impact wrench.

IMHO Once you meet the needs of the large impact, the compressor will be more than adequate for other bus task. I might add that the hose and fittings required to operate the impact is 1/2 inch.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

The principle reason for the use of shop air for me is to air up the tires. To do that efficiently a compressor capable of 175 PSI is far better than one with a lower maximum.

If you are going to do your own work and maintenance you will eventually want to use a 1" impact wrench for wheel removal. A 1" impact wrench needs a large volume storage tank, 60 gallons would be my guess as to the minimum. A 1" impact as Roger points out needs 1/2 hose to supply it so the tank needs to be plumbed with 1/2 quick connect fittings.

I use mine also for my grease gun, 1/2 impact wrench and to air up the bus when working on it. If you do get a compressor and use it for maintenance there are all sorts of uses. Get a good one that is big enough to do all you anticipate doing.

Default Input

thanks guys. I am kind of like Loyd. Had never owned a tent until I bought the bus. Consequently, I don't know what I need, but I know that I would rather over prepare than be caught without when the need arises. My attention to this was raised the other day when we were planning a short trip and I couldn't get my compressor to raise the tire pressure beyond 110 lbs. Thanks for the input. I know now that I probably need the 80 gallon tank and a 220 outlet for adequate power..............Thanks again.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony, I bought a Craftsman Oilless, 2 stage, 175 PSI, 25 Gallon Verticle Air tank, 120 volt with wheels for easy moving. It cost around $349.00.
    It fills my tires fine.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Tony,

Your comment about tire pressure caught my eye. Since Roger, you and me have similar coaches my guess is our tire pressures are going to be the same or very close. According to the Michelin pressure charts

(http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...ion-tables.jsp)

and based on our axle weights the highest pressure you may require is 100 PSI. If you want to fill your tires fire up the bus engine and use your auxiliary air from the steer compartment.

You will not regret buying a compressor, however.

Default Air up tires from bus.

You might want to look at this thread too...

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ster+regulator