Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Ready for a trip, random questions ...

Default Cars

Okay Ray, the girls "took" me to see Cars for Father's Day. Very nice flick. It will be the new Toy Story, so I am sure you are working on Cars II already.

In so many ways, Williams, Arizona is Radiator Springs. Having just been down 66, thru Monument Valley, the Tailfins at Amarillo and the like, it was a real treat to see the film and notice all the subtleties. Lots of sneaky things hidden in there.

But the question is, why does Pixar sell RenderMan? Looks like it would be propritary and not for use by others.

And my wife commented about all the Winnebagos in the infield of the race track but no Prevosts. What's up with that?

Lew, Thats good to hear. I was hoping the shocks made a difference. The bent steering arm was not a plus either.

I'm thinking of changing out my shocks and air bags this summer, and Prevost Jax is where I'd have it done. Just have to keep the wife out of stores for a few weeks so I can afford it.

Mike

Mike,

I don't know your workspace situation for the bus, but changing airbags is simple and takes about 1 hour to 1.5 hours per bag if you aren't in a hurry.

If you are interested post it and we can talk about it so others that may be interested can eavesdrop. You need to pull the shocks to get at one of the drive axle airbag sets so the timing is good.

Jon

Jon, I appreciate the offer, but frankly, I HATE laying on my back under the bus struggling with large hardware. Just blocking the bus up is a major chore as we full time and storing the blocks and jacks is a pain. Then there's the struggle with that bolt or nut that I just cant quite get to break loose and don't have room for a long enough extension to force it loose etc...

A pit is the answer, but not having access to one, I'll rent a lift with a mechanic. I do enjoy learning "how to" by watching them work. Some day that may come in real handy and Prevost Jax will let us watch.

Most of the wiring and electrical work I handle (except where a hole has to be drilled into an unknown area) and I'll leave that to the well insured business.

I've learned a lot from reading yours and others posts. In checking my engine this weekend, I noticed some soot forming around my left side exhaust manifold (the new one) and if I look real close, can see on of the studs they installed inching out of the block. I'm guessing a new gasket will be needed as well. I have an appointment to return to Florida Detroit Diesel next week!

I love catching a problem early.

Thanks again for the offer.

Mike

Hey Mike, At River Ranch can you pull the Tom Sawyer thing and get your neighbors to each take an axle and git er done?

Jerry,

Sorry for the late reponse, I just got back from 10 days on the road, and saw there was your note regarding Cars.

As for RenderMan, Pixar has sold that since before it's first movie (about 1989). Almost every major film you've ever seen, which has 3d animation in it was done with RenderMan. So, when we became a movie studio, there was concern from our customers that it would become proprietary. We've worked hard to make sure that it's not. It's not only great tools which make great movies, it's great people, and most importantly great stories.

I'm not sure why there were no Prevosts in the movie. I'll have to ask! I would guess that a Winnebago is known even to people who don't drive motorhomes.

Anyway, glad to hear that you like it.

Ray