Thread: Fluids 'n Filters

Default Fluids 'n Filters

OK, so I'm jealous of all the fun that Lloyd and Joe are having, and all the work they accomplished, so I decided to forgo the afternoon nap and service the generator.

I have a Kohler Model 20000 generator and the spec sheet says to use 15 w 40 oil designated as SAE CC or CD. I cannot find this designation anywhere. Can Rotella T 15w 40 be used? It is designated as CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, SM,SL,SJ

The oil filter is straight forward enough. There is also a fuel filter and a fuel/water separator filter. They look like simple spin-on filters, but is there anything else that I need to be aware of before taking them off?

Finally, I've been wanting to carry some spare lubricant for the radiator fan drive gear box. This spec calls for synthetic oil IS VG 460, which I also can not find anywhere. Mobil SHC 634 or equal is also noted for this application.

Any ideas? I want to make sure I'm using the correct lubricants in both the generator and the fan gear box.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    OK, so I'm jealous of all the fun that Lloyd and Joe are having, and all the work they accomplished, so I decided to forgo the afternoon nap and service the generator.

I have a Kohler Model 20000 generator and the spec sheet says to use 15 w 40 oil designated as SAE CC or CD. I cannot find this designation anywhere. Can Rotella T 15w 40 be used? It is designated as CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, SM,SL,SJ

The oil filter is straight forward enough. There is also a fuel filter and a fuel/water separator filter. They look like simple spin-on filters, but is there anything else that I need to be aware of before taking them off?

Finally, I've been wanting to carry some spare lubricant for the radiator fan drive gear box. This spec calls for synthetic oil IS VG 460, which I also can not find anywhere. Mobil SHC 634 or equal is also noted for this application.

Any ideas? I want to make sure I'm using the correct lubricants in both the generator and the fan gear box.
    Yes, yes, yes! The Rotella will work just fine..just that the sae boyz have changed around some of the numbers recently. Same Stuff!

Turn the fuel off, should be a valve by the filter then fill the new filter with clean diesel...same with the oil, only fill it with Rotella, if you are a purest.

Third question, light weight synthetic, I believe 10W but Jon will chime in here.

Personally I would have opted for the nap!

John

Lightbulb

Paul, Google, ISO VG 460 synthetic oil, and you will have many sites to read and YOU will be able to decide which brand is easiest for you to purchase (in your area)
    It appears to be a severe duty extreme pressure gear oil.

Look in your yellow pages for commercial lubricant oil distributors. The one selling Mobil products will have what you need.

Amsoil would also be GOOD, call them and have them give you their proper equivalent. Theirs is SVG-QT 75W-90, and SVO-QT 75W-140.
    I don't know which weight would be appropriate to use.
    order number is, 1-800-777-7094, call and ask for technical, or lab technician to get their opinion.

Paul, unless you know exactly what product is in the drive now, I would drain it and refill with all new of the product of your choice.
    Label the drive with the product being used and then carry extra of that product for future needs.

I would not add a different product to make a "mix" if you will. Sometimes there are negative consequences from doing this!!!!
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 07-25-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Paul, I just changed the oil in the fan gear box, look at the Graingers catalog, the have the Mobil for $15.00 a qt. It took a little less than 1 qt but I like having some extra so I got 2 qts.

Paul, I also bought some from Grainger about three months ago . The part # is 4ZF30.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

dalej Guest

Paul,

I changed the oil in mine and just ordered it from Prevost. They send it out of NJ

Great info... thanks everyone for all the help!

dalej Guest

Paul,

Here is a line from my bus diary....

3.26.08 Prevost oil came in for the fan gearbox. Synthetic oil Mobil SHC 630, $15.49 part # 180217 added it 4.2.08, 16 oz’s.

Hope this will help!

ps, it's sold by the quart, I just needed 16 oz's
    Last edited by dalej; 07-26-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks, Dale. Believe it or not, I've even found it on sale at Amazon! We're on the road and as soon as we get to a place where we'll stay put for a bit, I'll be ordering some.

Ya just can't have too many tools, filters or fluids on board ya know!