Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon rescues more dogs

Default Jon rescues more dogs

I saw Jon on my local news Greensboro,NC tonight and the reporter said that he had flown a rescue mission from Knoxville with 5 dogs.What a great volunteer John is to this worthy cause,I applaud your effort and commitment Jon.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

He will be saving 8 more this weekend Jack!

Ain't no secrets around here. I have to pull a Paul Harvey and tell the rest of the story.

Debi Boies needs to get some recognition for making me aware of the huge need for dog transports. It was because of her I found out about the need and decided if I was going to keep my plane I needed to stay sharp and get to flying it more than I was. Flying rescues is my way of justifying burning 100LL aviation fuel.

As Debi and I have worked to make other pilots aware of this, we are also becoming aware of just how important a rescue flight is compared to trying to arrange a ground transport to brings pups and other animals to an area where there is a need for them, and where they can find a permanent home instead of being euthanized which is a polite way of saying executed. Today's trip was for five pups that would have been killed because the shelter and the Greensboro rescuer were both unable to get a ground transport relay put together despite working two weeks to make it happen.

Deb and I are working not only to transport pups, but to make other pilots aware of the need for their help. To that end I was finally sucessful in getting our local newspaper to assign a reporter and photographer to cover today's rescue. Today's flight not only had five dogs in their cages, but the reporter and photographer on board also. I admit to being pretty proud of pulling that off because as Deb knows I have been working to get a feature article so we can attract pilots for months.

My feeling of pride was short lived. When we taxied into Atlantic Aero in Greensboro there were three TV stations photographers and anchors lined up photographing us as we arrived waiting to do interviews. The gal in Greensboro notified the TV stations because she though it was neat that we could use a plane for rescues. Totally unexpected. In fact when we pulled in I though it was because the plane that landed prior to us was given priority because it had some type of on-board emergency. I thought the cameras were on a plane behind us.

That gal with a few phone calls had managed to get more publicity than we were able to get on our own in months. BTW, the cages you POG members so graciously provided money for are being used constantly, not only by me but by other pilots who are also donating their time and planes.

I will plan on signing autographs at the next rally.

Great job Jon, makes me wish I still had my plane to help out!

Default Darg

Tom, you can put them in your bus, and they can go Greyhound

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Great job Jon, makes me wish I still had my plane to help out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I will plan on signing autographs at the next rally.
    and I am Jon's agent so there will be a small donation for photo's taken with our rescue pilot man

Jon is right, we have come a long way from our initial launching of this program but still have a long way to go to attract more pilots. I think if they hear about this, see the program in action, and love animals they will help! Jon has been working for months, and I have sent emails too, trying to entice more media coverage. Finally the newspaper reporter went with Jon and I can only imagine the look on her face when she saw three TV camera's waiting for them. The rescue contact in Greensboro told me all she did was send out emails the day before to the news stations and they showed up--this is one powerful woman!!

For those of you who would like to see this broadcast and Jon at work, here is the link....it is very gratifying to see a program you believe in get the attention it deserves. And yes, the fundraiser in Sevierville purchased the crates and harnesses that the pilots are now using. Jon flies the most dogs but other pilots in PA, MD, OK, MN, etc. are doing there part as well. Pics of some of those flights can be seen at http://flyimc.mywowbb.com/forum22/ just scroll down to Success Stories. We hope to have a new website launched soon.

Here is the link for our hero pilot Jon, he is so comfortable in front of the camera it is scarey

http://news14.com/content/top_storie...s/Default.aspx

Debi

I'm as good at lying to the camera as I am when people ask me questions here. It's a gift.

I'm as good at lying to the camera as I am when people ask me questions here. It's a gift.
    bahahahahahaha, ok "porky"

Debi

I'm really serious now. We have to revise the standards for membership. This is getting out of hand.

I'm really serious now. We have to revise the standards for membership. This is getting out of hand.
    My gosh, Jon the membership standards have been dumbed down worse than the SAT test. If you will pay closer attention to the postings lately, you will quickly dertermine that we are all a bunch of Charm School dropouts and bus driver wannabees. What the heck do you want anyway? There ain't a debutante in the whole bunch and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one to join.