Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amana Parts (latch)

Default Amana Parts (latch)

I have a '97 Liberty with an Amana side by side refrigerator. As I was driving to Dallas earlier today my refrigerator door came open on a relatively good highway. I discovered that the small plastic latch at the bottom of the refrigerator door had broken. Where would I find one of these?
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Is it a Liberty added part or an Amana part? The latch on the fridge in the Marathon is added after the fact. If you can get a photo, I think our old Amana is down at Birdland serving as a beer cooler, so there may be a donor part available.

Default clarification

It appears to be aftermarket. There is a receiver portion of the latch that mounts to the bottom of the fridge door and a counter interlocking part that mounts to the surface of the fridge where the two parts come together when closed. It is the surface mounted interlocking part that is broken. I will try to post photos later but am currently without technology.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony,

I have to think a call to Liberty will be the quickest source of the part unless you can determine it is just some random piece of hardware that you can find in the McMaster-Carr catalog or some such place.

Tony,

That is a part you can get from Liberty. Get extras. There are two strengths. Get several of each because that latch is used on closet doors and other applications around the coach. Get both parts. The receivers are fairly reliable with the "hook" needing replacement more frequently.

Even with good latches our fridge door decided to open once so we could get red wine and ketchup spread all over our floor. After that fiasco I added velcro strips to the top of the doors and hidden behind the handles so our doors are very secure. We'll show you in Spearfish.

Default Broken Latch

That is definitely a Liberty Part.

Broken Latch indicates excessive use of Refrigerator Door. Mine has broken at least once a year since I have had the coach.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Our Royale has latches added to the doors. If they are the same most well stocked RV Centers stock the latch. These latches do break and most often it is the male part of the latch. I have found that now some RV Centers have just the male part of the latch fo a few less Lewbucks.

If you all will quit loading the doors up with beer cans they won't be so apt to swing open during two wheel turns. Lessons learned the hard way.

Mel,

What part of covering our floor with red wine do you not get?

Don't lump me in with the beer swilling yahoos that populate this site. I have class. I do know that red Thunderbird will stain the grout.

I resent that remark! Burp....