Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint codes??

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Paint codes??

If one were looking to track down paint codes for a coach painted by Prevost, how would you go about it?

Being lazy I would look on the build sheet, but if it is not available contact Prevost with the coach number (the year code plus the last four digits) and ask them.

sawdust_128 Guest

Default I mis-stated the question

I was already to this point and was looking for advice on who/what to call at Prevost for this info. Service, parts, ???? Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Being lazy I would look on the build sheet, but if it is not available contact Prevost with the coach number (the year code plus the last four digits) and ask them.

Wood Chips,

Hold the phone here...what are you trying to do? The paint color code is easy as Jon mentioned but, if its a conversion your wasting your time with a call to Prevost...most, check that.... all, every converter tosses their own color schemes and paints on the bus. Call the converter or if there is a semblance of a decent body shop in your hood, take the question to them....any talented body shop can match any paint.

John

Big Bad John, The west coast converters such as CC and Marathon have painted their conversions, but others such as Liberty use factory designs and paint jobs.

That is why the build sheet is the place to start.

Ed, if you call the Prevost factory after she says Bon jour, and you say hello she switches to English and if you describe what information you are trying to get she will connect you to the right place. Prevost has always been very good about answering questions at the factory.

lewpopp Guest

I have a couple spots that the clearcoat is starting to peal off at the top curve of the body. Can I carefully sand the areas, clean and carefully re-clearcoat it again. Can it be done by a owner without going to a paint shop?

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Simple answer -- yes

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    I have a couple spots that the clearcoat is starting to peal off at the top curve of the body. Can I carefully sand the areas, clean and carefully re-clearcoat it again. Can it be done by a owner without going to a paint shop?

As the title states, the simple answer is yes. However, you need to answer another question first. That is why is the clearcoat peeling?

If it is peeling in the area of an impact, that should be fairly easy to touch up.

If it is peeling because of some kind of failure of the bond between the clear and color, (due to U.V radiation, heat, incompatibility or age related instability of color or clear coats, and others) it might become more difficult.

Lew I sent you a link in a PM which might help you sort some of this stuff out before you start. I would be real happy to have someone to bang this around with if you are interested.

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by flyu2there View Post
    Wood Chips,

Hold the phone here...what are you trying to do? The paint color code is easy as Jon mentioned but, if its a conversion your wasting your time with a call to Prevost...most, check that.... all, every converter tosses their own color schemes and paints on the bus. Call the converter or if there is a semblance of a decent body shop in your hood, take the question to them....any talented body shop can match any paint.

John
    I agree that most of them can match a paint color. I also find that most of them do not or will not take the time to identify and match the original material. In many instance they use a completely different material for repair. I have done this before and found that the touch up material weathered differently than my original. This is particularly true of small batches for touch up. Their goal is to blend into the existing finish and not to rebuild the original finish.

You are correct and I am just working within my own experince and preferences. Also, I have yet to confirm it, but I have been assured that the paint of this coach is factory Prevost. I just don't know at this point. I'll keep you posted.

Woodchipper,

The only paint code you need to know is Pantone 166. It will match anything and I hear it is the new black.

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    Woodchipper,

The only paint code you need to know is Pantone 166. It will match anything and I hear it is the new black.

Whoa there JW. What color is your coach? What color do you think it is? Last I checked, Pantone 166 was was an orange. No??!! Maybe I need a set of your charts.