Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Newbie Question

Default Stupid Newbie Question

OK, I know this will sound stupid to the veterans, but as a newbie I would like to know what you do when you have a flat tire while traveling? Call AAA? I would like to hear from the pros for some practical advice.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Orren Zook Guest

I use Coach Net rather than AAA, but that's what I'd do - call for road service if you have coverage. I've used them for three tire failures in the last 10 years, my longest wait for service was over two hours on 401 in Quebec, the least was 35 minutes on I-75 in Tampa three weeks ago. I'm not sure what AAA covers but Coach Net pays the service call, dismount and mount of the tire.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 07-16-2008 at 12:27 AM.

I have AAA with a Bus package for $28 a year more. Haven't had to use it .

Sid & Judy Tuls
    2007 Thompson XL11 D/S

I have AAA Plus, and if I had a flat, I would call them to get the necessary repairs. AAA normally will not work on your bus unless you have the extended service. Make sure that whoever does the repairs has adequate knowledge and tools for working on your bus.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Tony,

Ain't no stupid questions here. AAA is a good choice if you have their RV coverage. Make sure you get the AAA agent to do a three way telephone conversation with the repair facility however so you can explain your specific needs to the repair folks. Any heavy truck tire mobile repair service should be able to get you back on the road in short order (after they reach you). Another resource is: http://www.truckdown.com. They have listings for all manner of truck repair facilities. If you're handy you might want to carry a truck tire plug repair kit. If you carry an air hose and can tap your bus air system or better yet, get a portable CO2 setup: http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%20Toos/ToolsPg1.html, you may be able to repair a puncture and not have to deal with a service call.

There are other RV service organizations. Good Sam comes immediately to mind. My insurance company (Explorer RV) provided RV coverage from the Contentinental Car Club.

I think that FMCA has a similar service, and I believe the Camping World sells a service as well.

So, there are plenty of options.

Tony,

You definitely want to get road service for the bus that handles flats and towing. I have had the unfortunate experience of having to have the bus towed three times. I have used Coach-Net which is tied in with FMCA for 8 years. It costs me about $90 a year and based on the tows and one service call it has more than paid for itself. The cost for one of my tow jobs was more than $1,200 but Coach-Net covered everything. It also covers your personal automobiles. I like Coach-Net because they have technicians that know RV's and understand the difference with a bus.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Some things we have learned.

Carry a set of plugs and the tools to insert them as Brian suggests. That is not a long term fix (which involves adding a patch to the inside of the tire), but it may keep you going.

Carry at least 50' of hose, have an air hose fitting in the steer compartment, and have the ability to add air to all tires. If the problem is a slow leak you can add air every couple of hours (be sure to over inflate). This also may keep you going.

If the problem cannot be dealt with using the methods listed above, pray.

I have had two tire failures on the road in 18 years and at least 250,000 miles. One was a sidewall cut that I got rubbing against a curb trying to avoid a dump truck that needed his and my sides of the road, and the other was a cupped tag that went down to the belts in abut 2000 miles. In both cases 12R22.5 and 315R80 22.5 neither size was available at tire distributors (one in the El Paso / Las Cruces area, and one in St. Louis.

My solution was to juggle the tires around so I ended up with the closest size to what I needed on the tag axle. In both cases I made sure the correct tires were on the steer and drive axles, and I put the size closest to my needs on the tag. I ended up matching the other side tag tire so my tag had tires of a size not delivered with the coach, but sufficiently rated for the load. I ran them until they wore out with no issues in both cases.

Who you get for road side service is not important. I did subscribe to road side service at one time, but discontinued it because I was money ahead because in both cases I was able to get to the tire shop or into a campground. If you can avoid it by making temporary repairs to get you home you are far better off. If you do need roadside repairs you are at their mercy with respect to how long it takes them to show up, and how much they soak you for a tire.

Your best insurance is constantly checking tire pressures.

Default Pressure

Jon, I don't remember if you have remote pressure sensors or not??

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post

Your best insurance is constantly checking tire pressures.

I do not have remote pressure sensors. I still like to check them the old fashioned way. I use the infrared thermometer at rest areas.

I will not use any system that requires the external sensors, and while I find the strap type internal sensors OK, I am not yet convinced I want a system that has to have wireless repeaters or a lot of additional complexity.

Just like Crestron, are the remote sensors on someone's coach going to read on my display and vice-versa at a rally at some point?