Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: macerator pumps, Liberty Coach

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Ah, sooner or later the Black Tank discussion has to begin!

Wouldn't have a bus without a macerator, although on our old crummy Liberty it had to be primed every time we wanted to use it. With our new wonderful Vogue, it works every time and even chops, slices and dices better than a RONCO.

Some folks make up a 4" sewer cap with a garden hose adaptor on it for use at most parks and don't use the flex piping for the black tank. In a single waste tank bus, this is the real deal; simple, no flex hose and you can dump the tanks from the inside (given the control system) when necessary.

Slick.

Some people in Tennessee prime their macerator by turning it on and then sucking hard on the hose. I guess it works, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Oh and most importantly, win42, please feel welcome to this crowd!! The old Groucho Marx remark of, "I wouldn't want to be in a club that would have me as a member," might fit, but we have lots of fun here and don't know the difference, so ignorance is bliss, I guess.

But don't go in the shower with Jerry. He is a really big guy.

"Some people in Tennessee prime their macerator by turning it on and then sucking hard on the hose. I guess it works, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

I see by that remark Lady Helen is going to need to hit you about the head again.

BTW, I was told by an acquaintance that he would empty his tank by using the macerator because the outlet was pointed out the driver's side. His thinking was it would spray into the median. He fessed up however that the first (and only) time this wizard did this he never considered the huge air flow around and behind a Prevost moving at highway speeds. It seems the contents ended up all over his new Jeep GC, in all the joints, in the vent under the windshield, etc. When he shut down for the day the results were dried all over the side of the Jeep, in the door gaskets, on the wipers, etc. Washing it must have been fun.

lewpopp Guest

When I was stuck in the middle of the yard for over a week when I had my axil problems, a macerator cam in real handy. I could have been the original cuz it burnt out after running it several minutes. I now have a shiney brand new one with led lights on it. Looks neat.

With a macerator, you can do one of the things that plumbers say cannot happen. They say poop doesn't run up hill, but it does woth one of these fellows.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

My aren't we thin-skinned. The 'guy in Tennessee,' is the chicken farmer who lives next to the now-defunct BG facility near Knoxville. (Many stories about him).

At one point there was a new fancy coach visiting there and the owners had two very large dogs. They decided to let the dogs run free while the coach was in the service department.

Before long, here came the farmer walking up the visitor's center, shotgun in hand. Helen, always trusting the best in everyone said, "Hey, that guy has a gun, what's he going to do?"

I said, "I think he is going to shoot the dogs."

Out from the sales department came two sales guys with their Hawaiian shirts on (no socks) running toward the chicken farmer.

Indeed, it was his intent to shoot at least the two dogs for getting into his chicken coop. After much heated conversation, a financial transaction occurred and the chicken farmer retreated to his home.

Of course,later in the day, I engaged the chicken farmer in conversation and it was, well, a rather interesting chat. It was his sense that too many of the coaches being brought in for service were there needlessly, and that many of the problems the owners had could be repaired with what was at hand; the macerator pump being just one of them.

He said that timing was everything.

And indeed, it is if you are attempting to prime the macerator by creating suction.

And there it is.

OK, I'll accept your story. I just did not want you spreading untrue tales about a fellow POG member.

I'll have you know I replaced the factory original black macerator hose with a clear one so I could monitor the oral priming process. As you said...timing is everything. Free advice: should you misjudge on the timing thing, do not swallow.

My other black tank advice.

Do not let small excitable dogs to dance on the dash, close to the dump switch, while you're hooking up your 4" pipe.

Get the shotgun, dear.

MM

Yankee802 Guest

I know nobody has posted to this thread in a long time, but I have some questions regarding my macerator. I don't know if this thing works at all, it hasn't since I bought it. The guy I bought the coach from thought it had been disconected, and maybe it has, I don't know.

First, when I hit the switch for it, I get nothing, no sound or anything. If all it required was priming, wouldn't I get at least some noise from the mac? Assuming that it hasn't been electricly disconnected, how do I prime it? Can't I just open up the grey to the mac pump and hit the switch? I assume that gravity would prime it, not the case?

Bay 6 .jpg

All the way to the right under the water pumps is the outlet for the mac pump. I can just connect a garden hose and run it wherever.

And a closeup:

Macerator.jpg
    Last edited by Yankee802; 10-21-2008 at 11:16 PM.

dalej Guest

My masorator pump quit working so I called the company and they said not to run it dry so I replaced the impeller (it was chewed up) and put a on/off switch right by the masorator pump that way when I open the black tank valve I can run the masorator pump and shut if off after the gray in empty.

The way mine was set up the switch was at the dash and when the pump was done pumping, I went to the dash and shut it off.

Question

Geoff, did you get your pump issue resolved. Yours looks to be the same as mine, a Jabsco 18590.
    The Mfgr's. brochure states that after a sustained period of disuse the impeller may become stuck in the pump housing.
    They provide for the shaft to extend out of the motor with a screw driver slot in the end. Turn it a couple times in a clockwise direction when looking at the slotted end. Yours looks to be pointing out, so it should be easy for you. (good engineering and design Marathon)

My pump is at arms length in a tight space over my tank with the shaft pointing away from any access. (bad design and engineering on Liberty's part)

I have an idea for a tool that should be able to turn my pump, but I need a couple dimensions.

What is the diameter of the slotted shaft and how wide is the slot?

If anyone else can come up with the dimensions I would appreciate it!

Thanks, JIM

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Geoff, did you get your pump issue resolved. Yours looks to be the same as mine, a Jabsco 18590.
    The Mfgr's. brochure states that after a sustained period of disuse the impeller may become stuck in the pump housing.
    They provide for the shaft to extend out of the motor with a screw driver slot in the end. Turn it a couple times in a clockwise direction when looking at the slotted end. Yours looks to be pointing out, so it should be easy for you. (good engineering and design Marathon)

My pump is at arms length in a tight space over my tank with the shaft pointing away from any access. (bad design and engineering on Liberty's part)

I have an idea for a tool that should be able to turn my pump, but I need a couple dimensions.

What is the diameter of the slotted shaft and how wide is the slot?

If anyone else can come up with the dimensions I would appreciate it!

Thanks, JIM

Mexican Speed Wrench outta do it...Channel Locks. Size don't matter.................