Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: macerator pumps, Liberty Coach

ken&ellen Guest

Default macerator pumps, Liberty Coach

This post only after I have climbed under and in my waste water bay.
    There is a MAC switch on the dash and a macerator spec sheet in my stack of manuals, BUT I can not find either the pump itself or the discharge valve. According to the literature the pump discharges through a 1" pipe, but I suspect that maybe it really discharges through the 3" main valve. Any Liberty owners that could shed some light? Thanks...Ken & Ellen

My pump is located on top of the waste holding tank, about 12 to 18" back (when looking into the compartment). It discharges through a tube that is routed through the rear bulkhead of that compartment and is routed to the passenger side at the rear. It terminates with a male hose fitting that is capped.

YMMV

I have seen macerator pumps located right in front of the holding tank but they were not on a Liberty and they may have been owner installed.

Our pump is located directly in front of the black water tank next to the dump valve for the tank. It discharges out a copper line that is plumbed thru the floor and terminates with a cap just under the bay even with the side of the coach. The hose screws on there.

I guess the good news is it is easily accessable. The bad news is I need to pull it off and unplug it after pumping the tank to the clean out at our house. Must have ingested something a little too new..

Wonder why Liberty would rig this up with that much suction head? There must be a reason, eh?

ken&ellen Guest

Default Type of hose?

Jon, It was just as you discribed. Thanks. Now for the hose type? According to the manual for the pump it would require a 1" hose. I am guessing a marine duty similar to those used to pump out a boat. Any preferences? Ken

The tubing or hose can probably be almost anything. I have what looks like regular duty radiator hose (green stripe as I recall).

I really do not like how mine is set up, so if I were to have an opportunity to re-plumb the discharge hose from the macerator I would possibly hard plumb it with PVC tubing, and I would come out of the pump with a single flexible tube for ease of removal to service the pump, and go through the bulkhead into the hard PVC tubing. I would use a "Y" and route the tubing to both sides of the coach. For simplicity I would not try to go to the rear, but come out the side just forward of the drive axle on both sides. I would use a hose thread connection with a cap on each side.

I have never had a need for a macerator, but Mango proved to me the macerator provides backup for the regular dump valve so it has merit.

Jeffery Raymond Guest

Default Why is it that this topic keeps showing up on most threads?

Anyway, if you haven't used your macerator for awhile, you may find that it spins but doesn't pump. The fix is to put water under pressure through a hose into the pump, turn on the pump and prime it.

Then, turn off the water pressure, take the hose to the dump area, and turn it on.

No need to try to siphon the hose by mouth.

Timing is everything.

ChuckWall Guest

Cool

We have a '94 Liberty XL40 Classic Lady with the 8V92 - I think these coaches were built pretty much the same for a number of years. This is mostly for Ken but some others may have the same question. The macerator pump is located as Jon has pointed out - on the ceiling of the compartment - over the top of the holding tank - on the front of the tank you will find a discharge line - white PVC with rubber and stainless couplings - it goes across towards the rear then up to the ceiling and back towards the middle of the bus. Look with a flashlight and you will find the pump mounted to the top of the compartment and the outlet goes out over the the top of the wheel housing and into the engine compartment on the passenger side. It comes out with a standard hose fitting with a brass cap at the rear under the door where the batteries and Webasto are located. It is mounted below this door and you do not need to open the door for access but you can see where the line goes with the door to this compartment open. Mine runs but will not pump and it has been my experience with boats that these pumps are normally located at the bottom of the tank - not on top where it has to develop a lot of lift to work - I will try Jeffrey's suggestion and see if I can get it to prime. Perhaps this pump will work in this location - I've just never been successful in getting it to prime. Obviously it would be easier if the tank were completely full and the line was full also - but that was the situation when I tried it the first time. I have used a similar pump with the three inch fitting attached to pump the tank many times and they work great if you do not have a large dump available but do have access to a small sewer inlet that a garden hose will go into. The built-in pump would be very convenient if it worked. My question for Jeffrey would be if getting this thing primed the first time is the only difficulty or if it loses prime between usages and you have to fight with it every time? Relocating the pump to the bottom of the compartment would be a challenge but once done should work well.

Chuck Wall

Jeffery Raymond Guest

Default Yup Priming is Like Timing...

Our experience has been that it is necessary to reprime the pump to keep it happy...often. As with most things on the camper, lack of use dries seals and rubber gaskets. So, we wind up repriming often.

I noted last spring at a Parliament rally one of their new coaches using the macerator only at a full service site. Kind of a different way of handling waste, as all you need is a garden hose and a 4" fitting.

Now you may know more than you wanted?

lewpopp Guest

Default Funny You Should Mention Mascerator

I was in need of my pump today because I could not move my coach for other reasons. Never used the pump and I hooke it to a discharge hose and away I went. I burned out near the end so I was satisfied for now. Guess I will call Camping World. Another $160 bucks down the drain, but it saved my life today.

Mine is mounted on the floor in front of the dump controls also. Very easy to replace.

The second week I had the Mango Mothership we went to a Jimmy Buffet concert and on the way out (I should have waited until all the 4 wheelers left before proceeding) I hit a large rock surrounding the parking area and tore off the 4" PVC discharge on the bottom of the bus.

I did try to get the macerator to work, but being a NOOB I didn't realize you needed to prime it - no luck. So plan C. I went to Home Depot and bought a small electric pump with hose connections at both ends and pulled off the clean out plug on the top of the tank and dropped 4' of garden hose into the black tank to do the dirties. I keep the pump now just in case I ever need Plan C again.

Mike