Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on a hitch to pull a stacker??

nealandjudy Guest

Question Suggestions on a hitch to pull a stacker??

We just purchased a triple axle 4950 featherlite stacker trailer to tow behind our H3 and are looking for suggestions on what type of hitch would be best. We plan on putting a Corvette, Polaris Ranger, a couple of Harleys, and some "other stuff" in it. We measured the tongue weight empty and it was 1,000 lbs. Will a regular receiver work or do we need a weight distribution hitch? I hope I am asking the right questions as Neal isn't here right now.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Still trying to upload a picture of our coach but haven't figured out the pixel thing yet!
    Last edited by nealandjudy; 07-08-2008 at 11:53 AM.

I would get the Prevost 20,000lb hitch. It will also increase the tongue weight to 2000lb.

nealandjudy Guest

We currently have a Prevost 10,000 lb hitch. Do you think it would be safe to pull the stacker with it full or should we get the 20,000 lb hitch?

Wow....1000 pounds tongue weight and it is empty.

What will the whole rig weigh when loaded, what will be the tongue weight be when loaded, and what kind of brakes will it have.

Maybe I am too conservative but that has the potential to be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by nealandjudy View Post
    We currently have a Prevost 10,000 lb hitch. Do you think it would be safe to pull the stacker with it full or should we get the 20,000 lb hitch?
    My two cents: I cannot answer this definitively because the final tongue weight is unknown. But I do know Maryland can easily make your life miserable if it turns out the hitch is inadequate for the weight, quite aside from safety concerns. On the other hand, if you are pulling a stacker you will be longer than Md. permits, and if you find yourself in that state, stay on the interstates.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Depending where the axles are situated on the trailer you will should be able to load that trailer to close to capacity without getting over on the tongue limit of the hitch.

Ideally you will be able to keep the load neutral and the tongue close to 1000lb.

Some experimentation at a truck scale and adjusting the load while there would be prudent in fact it is the only way you will get it right for sure. When you find the right formula some marks on the floor of the trlr will be helpful. A couple of INCHES one way or another with the position of the contents of the trailer will result in significant differences in the weight on the nose.

Even with everything loaded perfect driving a combination like that will be work and hard on the bus at best.

Easy does it and leave your aggressions at the curb.

These are the kind of concerns I wish I had
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 07-08-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Joe, your comments are right on except imagine the rear bias of the axles if the trailer (which is not like a conventional trailer) already has a 1000 pound tongue weight.

A significant potrtion of every pound forward of the axles ends up as tongue weight, and I suspect there is little room behind the axles to offset that, such as by loading the car or motorcycles. A Corvette is fairly well balanced depending on the model year so it is likely to end up over the axles. There may not be much remaining room behind the car so the motorcycles and the four wheeler are for all practical purposes added to the tongue weight.

I always get concerned when I see a Prevost with a large stacker trailer, usually smoking down the highway in the show-off lane because I imagine few of them have the braking ability necessary or the hitch capacity for the weight. This of course ignores the fact that in far too many states such a rig is illegal.

I still remember what the elder service Mgr. at the Billings , Mt. Detroit Diesel Service told me when I asked how the 8V92 compared to the Ser. 60. He said "two 8V engines to one transmission and one Ser. 60 engine to four (4) transmissions. With the extra trailer weight you need to watch the transmission temp guage constantly and probably never use 6 gear. Lots of down shifting up and down hills. Good luck and have fun.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Just a guess but if the tongue is 1000 empty those axles are going to be pretty close to centered to just slightly rear of center.

I think a good spot for the vet may be on the bottom backed in. Bikes & quad up top with the quad forward. That would also offset any potential items stored in cabinets or up front. Initially one just has to experiment and see. What fun!

You will have the luxury of always hauling the same stuff so with enough effort you will be able to test loaded positions and come to the most convenient way to overcome the tongue weight issues and just concern yourself with the gross weight. A vette a couple of HD's and a quad is around 7000lb net wt.? That is not real outrageous. The trlr. itself is another 3 or 4000?

A morning at the scales will answer all.

Where is Toy Box or Kevin and Jack they will have some good advice.

To the hitch question I would get the best I could find. The equalizer hitch may help some I suppose. Wouldn't hurt.

I recall someone posted a trailer tongue weight scale a while back, Kev I think. It went under the base of the leg.

Ditto what Harry said, the trans will be the weak link. 65 or 70,000lbs is a lot for an automatic.

What is the most gross weight Allison suggests safely pulling with one? Is there any additional aftermarket coolers available from Allison????????????? With the way the external filter is plumbed a guy could probably fashion something pretty helpful for dissipating heat by tapping into those lines. An additional external cooler with d/c fans with thermal sensors.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 07-08-2008 at 10:08 PM.

My champion trailer weighed 10200 Lbs empty and it was aluminum.I don't know what the tongue weight was but I towed a 4500 LB. car in it from FL to NC and got 4.1 MPG.I would rather flat tow my chevy truck and at least get 5.0 MPG.