Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS screws me again

Default In agreement with Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    Adam,

I use a Garmin 276c. When I hit menu twice that will take me into Setup, from there I move to Road routing, then select Calculate routes for, then choose Bus, it's default setting is Car/motorcycle

It also has a custom road prefs. which I can choose to change my prefs. by moving the sliders toward the major road and medium roads but avoid minor roads.

Try looking around a little in the setup menu, there is a lot in there.

Good luck!

Adam, I am in agreement with Dale. I have a 3 yo C550 Garmin Street Pilot and it is almost flawless. I have the latest upgrade and have it set up for "Bus" and generally use the 'direct route' mode. Like most electronic equipment it needs to be setup properly. If your VCR (does anyone still own one of these antique devices?) still blinks 12:00am after 15 years then you could be electronically challenged and might need some help setting up the GPS. If that isn't the problem try Garmin's tech support. Something isn't right if you are having so many serious problems with this highly-rated product.

Good Luck (a Nevada thing)

No wonder I use maps. My VCR really is still blinking.

Thank you all. I will check into all of this. I think when it comes down to it, I was just expecting too much. One day, no doubt pretty soon, these things will work like we wish they did. For now, I will be thankful that it is difficult to get lost as long as it is on.

~Adam

I use the big print edition and we never get lost

Quote Originally Posted by tdelorme View Post
    I use the big print edition and we never get lost

I can't make out the details on my computer. What is the title of this map? ISBN#? I really need something like this. Does it have notifications for low overpasses? I ran into that the other day when the GPS tried to take me under a 12 footer. OH, let me clarify... I "encountered" that. I didn't run into anything:-)

Thanks,

Adam

Exclamation

Google, Motor Carrier Road Atlas.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Software

I have used Tom Tom, Garmin, Magelon and Lowarance auto version and for the laptop, Co Piolet and Microsoft Streets and Maps. The Co Piolet is supposed to be better according to most but I lost patience for it and shelved it becuase the Microsoft Streets and Maps was so intuative and easier to use. But it doesn't have the option to to tell you not to go down this road because their's a low bridge like the big rig Copilot Big Rig does.

For a car GPS, the Tom Tom is the easiest to use hands down. It automatically zooms in and then back out before and after turns. Newer GPS's have bluetooth features which will read you bluetooth engabled cell phone's address book and let you search and dial calls and it works as a speakerphone also but it might be considered safer since you have large print to see your phone book instead of hunting around on your phone while your driving. Since I am not retired and work from the road, I'm on the phone a lot working while I'm driving, although I have not gotten one of the bluetooth enable GPS's I refer to. I use the Microsoft Streets and Trips. It sits right on my dash and has never come close to falling even with no velcro or anything and you have a much larger screen than a regular GPS but if yours won't stay on your converters dahs, you could look into the getting a Jotto Desk which is similar to the brackets police cars use to hold thier computers. They sell them in various lenghts to accomadate RV'ers. The software such as Piloet or Streets and Trips gives you much more comprehensive planning ability and is more robust than a stand alone GPS and it's about $120 for the software and the sensor.

Whether you looking at a GPS or a map, I found out the hard way that when you see a road that has a truck load of winds and hair pin turns, that means your going over a mountain. So on top of the hair pin turns your turning going up or down. Go another way when you see somthing look like a line of aint's walking through a drop of whiskey.

Adam,

I use Microsoft's Streets and Trips software on my laptop and I find it very user friendly. Using the View Menu, select Map fonts and enlarge the print on the map. I have a Jotto Desk installed on my dash and my laptop's 15 inch screen provides a nice moving map with the route highlighted in green.
    The GPS plugs right into the laptop and we are good to go.

I always select PREFERRED ROADS and the software routes me thru using interstates and federal (US) highways. All of this type of software should be used in conjunction with other aids to navigation (atlas, etc.) not stand alone. I have also found that zooming in tight will give a good indication of the width of the road. Like anything else there is a learning curve; it is part of the fun of motorcoach travel!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot