Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry Camping Advice

Harry, to effectively dry camp the secret is to use everyone else's toilet and shower. I do have to admit that we use less water here at home because there are too many people in an RV park, whereas at home I just go pee off the deck.

Thank you everyone for the great advice.

Brent

lewpopp Guest

The first thing I did when I pulled into my winter camp spot when I began full timing was to make sure the fresh water tank was full, the black empty and unplug the service and live a normal as we could for how many days. I started the generator for a few hours twice a day and shortened our showers a little bit. We know we can get 7 days on the tanks and we never have a fear of dry camping and don't lose any of the ammenities. take the time to know your coach.

We are out for the next six months. We are now at a campsite that has all the luxuries, S/W/E real treat. We are trying to rotate between dry camping in remote areas and treating ourselves to unlimited hot water showers.

Last week we were in Aziscohos lake, Lincoln Plantation Maine dry camping. Seven days is about right with water and sewer. A little wabasto in the morning and lite on all else.

One thing that we are very pleased about is the fact that our Bus has both Gas and electric stove. When dry camping or on 30 amps we always use the gas burners.

We also cut off the engine 12/24 volt system. Asked Prevost Quebec about this and they confirmed that it does not effect the DDEC brain, but could run down the batteries if left on.

Finally we cut off all unnecessary power drain, including all sat related equipment if no signal is available, fan motors for the tv and stero, anything we do not need to save power. Really helps and in remote locations it makes for a more quiet experience.

lewpopp Guest

Just for the record, we do not turn off any electrical services in cluding the12/24 switches. We run the computer nearly all day and take hot showers each day. If we had to go more than 24 hours without a shower during the dry camp, you can kiss the dry camp goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    Just for the record, we do not turn off any electrical services in cluding the12/24 switches. We run the computer nearly all day and take hot showers each day. If we had to go more than 24 hours without a shower during the dry camp, you can kiss the dry camp goodbye.
    We do not mean to say that we rough it, but rather when we know that we will not need certain electrical items then we try and turn them off. I am a light sleeper and in a quiet forest settings every noise can be heard, and why use the extra power if it is not needed.

We use the Wabasto heat for the hot water when dry camping, plenty of hot water and warm in the morning.

As for the computer, we need to stay in touch with our business each day, but for the first time we actually were in a location where we could not get any signals, nothing from the cell phone booster, Motosat Tv nothing, tucked along side of a 4k mountain, had to drive 8 miles up the hill to get a signal and get our emails. Was not in love with that each day but the wilderness was pretty special.

Judi Brown Guest

Default Battery charger

We have been doing quite a bit of dry camping and my husband was wondering about getting a CTEK battery charger. We read there web page, but was wondering if anybody has used one. Was thinking of hooking up to chassie batteries.
    Thanks JB

Judi Brown Guest

Default Dry camping

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Brown View Post
    We have been doing quite a bit of dry camping and my husband was wondering about getting a CTEK battery charger. We read there web page, but was wondering if anybody has used one. Was thinking of hooking up to chassie batteries.
    Thanks JB

Hi Judi. If you are attempting to use the Chasis batteries to charge the Coach batteries , I would be careful or you could end up with neither being available. I typically run my Generator for about two hours to recharge my Coach batteries & I have a seperate 120 volt chasis battery charger which I can switch on as well when the Gen or shore is on.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Webasto hot H20

Anyone ever started with no hot water, fired up the Webasto and seen in real life how long it took from fire up to usable hot shower?